what goes up...
    Apr 2012

Race Face single speed crank?

Howdy!

This one is stumping me... I'm setting up the new bike as a 1x10. I have a 104b.c.d. single speed chain ring and bash I want to use. I want to go with a Race Face Turbine. As best I can tell, the crank arms come in 2 (3?) sizes.

There is a "2x10" crank, and that is 80/120 B.C.D.

There is a Triple crank, and that is 64/104 B.C.D.

There is also a "single speed" version sold by a few companies, but I don't see it listed on Race Face's site. The single speed version is 64/104 B.C.D.

So here's the question: Is the "single speed" version just a triple crank sold with a SS ring and bash, or are the crank arms actually different? I'm thinking it's the former, but I'm hoping somebody can confirm. Thanks!

- alex in Bozeman, MT

Chamois Dropper
    I have a similar dilemma, but I'm trying to figure out if the Race Face single speed crankset which includes a 32t ring with a 104 BCD and a bash also has a place for the 64 BCD bolts so I could do a bashwich with a BBG inner ring. It would be cheaper to buy it this way than buying a triple, taking off the two rings and buying 2 bashguards....thanks

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBrapNot View Post
    I spoke with the guys at Universal Cycles, they're saying that the single and triple cranks are the same. They're the same cranks, both 64/104 BCD. Apparently the "single" crank is just one that the re-seller has slapped a SS specific (no ramps or pins) chain ring on and a bash. That would explain why some people end up with the 32t ring/32t bash and others end up with the 32t ring/34t bash. I hope this helps!
    It helps me very much. Thanks a lot !

what goes up...
    Apr 2012
    I spoke with the guys at Universal Cycles, they're saying that the single and triple cranks are the same. They're the same cranks, both 64/104 BCD. Apparently the "single" crank is just one that the re-seller has slapped a SS specific (no ramps or pins) chain ring on and a bash. That would explain why some people end up with the 32t ring/32t bash and others end up with the 32t ring/34t bash. I hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Hey Guys - thanks for the interest. We believe dealers and distributors know what works best for their markets. As such, if a dealer is looking for something a little special (like a SS w/ Bash) who are we to deny them or force them to buy extra parts they don't need.

As for the question regarding the granny position, all Turbine 104/64 cranks have a removable granny ring spider. This acts like a spacer to extend the granny bosses to the correct height when running a small ring while allowing excellent chain device clearance while running SS.

raceface.com/components/small-parts/granny-ring-spiders/granny-ring-kit/

Thanks for riding Race Face!

what goes up...
    Apr 2012
    Thanks all!

mtbr member
    May 2012

Bombproof SS on a budget?

Also posting in SS, Endurance...

Hello, first post here. I'd start a new thread, but I need 5 posts to do it. In short, I'm looking to replace the self-loosening Truvativ crank on my '07 Raleigh XXIX. I know very little about BB/Crankset mechanics. It's an eccentric setup with a Truvativ GXP BB. I will be using the bike primarily for endurance racing and would like something reliable. My current gear is 33:18, which I really like. I'd like to keep the bike for a long time and upgrade it with that mindset.

The shop I ride for has picked out options from Surly and Race Face, mainly because they can replicate the 33T + bash guard setup of the stock Truvativ. Is there anything out there I should be looking at? I've seen beautiful pieces from White Industries, Homebrewed, etc. in various threads. Are these any more robust than offerings from Shimano or SRAM? A bash guard would be nice but isn't absolutely necessary.

The bike cost me less than $400, so I'd like to avoid doubling my investment just to keep it running. Please advise - thank you for your time.