mtbr member

Race Face Ride crank feels tight

Last weekend, my old Race Face Evolve X type crank came lose in the middle of a trail, and since I was about 6 miles out, by the time I got back, it had wiggled bad enough to wear away the taper, so it no longer holds torque.

I was very happy to find a Race Face Ride crank from Jenson, Race Face Ride Crankset Oe 2010 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop.

I got it in, and I noticed it doesn't have the xtype bolt, where you don't need a puller to remove the crank (is it supposed to?). Anyways, that's not important.

I'm running a XTR Hollowtech BB, and when installed, it feels tight. I can spin it, but if I spin it fast and let it free spin, it may do one revolution.

Another thing, when I was installing it, it pushed the dust cap of the external bearing cup on the drive side...did this ruin my BB? I pushed it back on and it kind of "snapped" back in. If so, is the Race Face BB's these cranks come with of good quality?

Thanks for any and all input!

:EDIT:

I didn't use this last night when I was installing it, but this is exactly the process I went through, except I used a block of wood and a hammer instead of a rubber mallet. Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog External Bearing Crank Systems (Hollowtech II, MegaeXo, Giga X Pipe, X-type, Campagnolo Ultra Torque)
    2013 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    it should spin free, ie 3-4 revolutions so maybe a shim/spacer removed that won't bind it up. I just installed an Evolve crank W BB a cpl days ago and once shimmed everything fit as it should.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    it should spin free, ie 3-4 revolutions so maybe a shim/spacer removed that won't bind it up. I just installed an Evolve crank W BB a cpl days ago and once shimmed everything fit as it should.
    Dammit, I don't have a BB wrench :-/ Looks like it's going to the LBS.

What about the dust cap coming off? Did you use the Race Face BB?
    2013 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Dammit, I don't have a BB wrench :-/ Looks like it's going to the LBS.

What about the dust cap coming off? Did you use the Race Face BB?
    yes i too am in the process of obtaining a few essential tools for DIY work in my man cave, and yes i used the RF BB after having the shell chased/faced everything assemble quick with good chainline setup.

mtbr member
    If you have a 68mm bottom bracket shell, there should be one spacer on the non drive side and two spacers on the drive side. If you have 73mm shell, one spacer on drive side only. I like Race Face stuff, but their lower end cranks and bottom brackets can suffer from tolerance and longevity problems. I started with Evolve, and upgraded to Turbine. Despite pretty good reviews, I think the Turbine Bottom Brackets suck. The cranks and chainrings are great, but I went through two Turbine Bottom Brackets in six months. Am using Hope now with zero problems.