Team Awesome

Race Face Problems

I have a very serious problem with my old, busted, race face deus cranks. I can't get them off of my bike.

Then 10mil bolt is stripped, totally round. This happened the last time I put them on. Now I want to get them off, and I can't. Any ideas? They're affixed to a cheap frame, but I still don't want to write off the whole bike because I can't get the cranks off.

Is my only solution a hacksaw through the spindle? I don't even know if I can get enough room in there to get a hacksaw blade in.

As far as I'm concerned, these cranks are garbage. I got them when they first came out and have had no end of problems with them. I do need to get these off my bike, though, as the chainrings are shot, and I have no interest in dropping 80$ into a new set of rings when the splines on the spindle are wearing out.

Can you ge the cranks off only using the 8 mil wrench? A buddy of mine insists that it's possible, but I can't get the stinker to budge. HELP!

thecentralscrutinizer
    I would try drilling out the crank bolt as large as I could to remove material, then use a Dremel, or cold chissle to remove the rest of the bolt.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

One Gear
    If your old cranks are similar to the new ones, the 10mm is the dust cap and the 8mm is the bolt that pulls the crank in tight. The 10mm has a backwards thread pattern. Try the 8mm and get a socket drive and a big socket wrench.

Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2007
    get creative with a drill and a dremel, or just a drill

Let's have a beer or 10.
    Indeed, the 8mm bolt is the one that holds the assembly together. Once that bolt is off, you can try to pull the arm off the axle. Depending on the wear on your crank, this may or may not be easy.

Team Awesome
    the mad scientist side of me is a little excited to get crazy with a drill/dremel. the part of me that just wants my bike to work isn't so excited. Thanks for the advice, though.

thecentralscrutinizer
    To bad you're not closer. I've got a new air compressor and pneumatic tools I'm wanting to break-in.

Good luck with that crank.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    actually, the 10mm bolt is part of the "self extracing unit". if the 10mm is still on, just backout the 8mm bolt which will butt up against the 10mm bolt and pull the crank off...