Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...

Does anyone know when it will be released? I'm holding out to try one..

Race Face 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Nice, I think i'm going to wait to try one of the 30T. I was going to go with another one, but this seems like its going to be cheaper than the other ones out right now.

mtbr member
    they are already out.
    i just ordered one 32T from Art's Cyclery for $38
    Eager to try it and see if the chain will drop or not

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got one 32T from Wiggle last week. no chain drop after 4 rides. I love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For those that have it on their bikes, what are your setup? How often did the chain dropped before the new ring? I think this info will help for those that are considering one. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bikeman has 32t narrow/wide in stock. I just got mine yesterday, a blue one. I've been running 1x9 for years and have always used a jump stop and bash ring to keep the chain on. Now I'm trying the narrow wide ring with a 9 speed X9 derailleur and will try 9 and 10 speed chains w/o the chain keeper stuff. Last night's ride was trouble free and I seemed to have less chain slap. I'll report back in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    steelbike, what type of derailleur are you using? I'd love to ditch my jumpstop, but am hoping these will work well with a normal, clutchless derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi,

Will these rings eg a 32 or 30T work on the Turbine Double SL ie Bash /36/26 as a 1x10? Are Shims needed?

Thanks,

Richard

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dukemasterpro View Post
    Hi,

Will these rings eg a 32 or 30T work on the Turbine Double SL ie Bash /36/26 as a 1x10? Are Shims needed?

Thanks,

Richard
    Speedy response direct from race face was a YES!

meow meow
    anybody have the 30t in stock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So far the narrow wide chainring has served me well. I have over 30 miles of chattery tech riding and no dropped chains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    steelbike, what type of derailleur are you using? I'd love to ditch my jumpstop, but am hoping these will work well with a normal, clutchless derailleur.
    An old 9 speed X9 which is w/o clutch of course.

The optimum choice would be a Type 2 derailleur but so far in a week's worth of rides and intentionally trying to drop the chain, it hasn't happened yet. That means it will likely happen when I least expect it to
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-dscf0016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rode outside Seattle this weekend, one rider had the RF narrow-wide. A 32 with XT clutch and 11-36. Silent and trouble free as expected.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been running mine for two weeks and haven't had an issue yet. Most of my riding is aggressive all mtn will loads of rough trails.

I got mine from Arts Cyclery delivered in a day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Arts is great and often times the 15% coupon applies to most anything. But if they're out of stock on some colors and sizes I know Jenson has a few: Race Face Single Narrow Wide Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

$40 to $45 before shipping (usually buy something else needed to qualify for free ship) seems to be a great price. Others charge about $65.

mtbr member
    got 32t one from Arts friday. 30 mile ride saturday, no dropped chain. paired with xt clutch. works great. good price too.

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine from UniversalCycles $35, plus the $2.99 shipping. They don't have the 30t in stock though. Oh, and it's green!
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ended up riding my tracer in Mammoth (bike park) with this ring and didn't drop a chain all day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyone tried without clutch derailleur? I wonder how it compare to wolftooth. Also durability, i know raceface is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Can't speak to durability, but after 2 rides ~30 miles so far so good on mostly smooth ST and some rooty/rocket bits. Running it with old school 9 speed X9. Did just buy an XT clutch derailleur though, so will upgrade soon. Thought I would loose the chain at one point, but it held on even though my non clutch rear dérailleur and chain were rattling pretty good through some downhill roots.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Any word on the 30T availability yet?
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    I've now done two 3 hour rides with mine, with no dropped chains.

I've got a 9spd, slx, clutchless, longcage derailleur.

There's no big hits, but plenty of chattery roots. Normally without a jumpstop I'd be dropping the chain every 50' or so. I'm pretty pleased that it seems to be working, because I've got a whole bunch of 9spd stuff that I was hoping to wear out before I bother upgrading.
    Last edited by newfangled; 08-02-2013 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-photo-32.jpgRace Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-photo-31.jpgIve been a longtime lurker...Ive been reading about this Narrow Wide ring, so I had to give it a try. I received it today from Jenson...Only took 5 days!!!

This thing is amazing! Im running it on a non clutch XT with no problems so far. I hit the trails very hard today for about 12 miles. All kinds of terrain.

Thanks to all for posting about great things now and in the past. I have learned so much from this site.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Is that a 32?
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Is that a 32?
    Yep! It's a 32. Very easy install.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Hmmm. That looks tight. Hard to imagine how they're gonna make that 30T work.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member

I have a black 34t on my Jet 9 RDO with a Shimano Zee rear. Probably about 50 miles on it and no drops. I love it, it looks so clean compared to the e13 guide I had before, and silent.

mtbr member
    Update!!

I just finished a 15 mile ride with no drops. I was thinking about ordering a clutch RD, but not now. I'll wait untill the one I have wears out.

I also weighed my bike before and after...I dropped 15oz with this simple upgrade. I'm super pumped about this thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rednecksuperfly View Post
    Update!!

I just finished a 15 mile ride with no drops. I was thinking about ordering a clutch RD, but not now. I'll wait untill the one I have wears out.

I also weighed my bike before and after...I dropped 15oz with this simple upgrade. I'm super pumped about this thing.
    I like this chain-ring, I have it about over 100 miles without chain drops. I so happy with it and cheap too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I've put 50+ miles on my setup (non clutch derailleur), was great for the first 30 of regular riding, but did drop it 2 or 3 times during a rocky trail in the middle of an XC race. I'd even ridden that trail with this setup before w/o issues.

Going to put on a clutch derailleur and believe it will solve the drop problems I had entirely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtskibum View Post
    I've put 50+ miles on my setup (non clutch derailleur), was great for the first 30 of regular riding, but did drop it 2 or 3 times during a rocky trail in the middle of an XC race. I'd even ridden that trail with this setup before w/o issues.

Going to put on a clutch derailleur and believe it will solve the drop problems I had entirely.
    Do ya think it could be from chain stretch? I'm having no issues yet, but I'm on a spankin new chain. I guess only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Definitely possible. My chain may also may have been too long. Got a great deal on an XT clutch so going to remove any doubt.

mtbr member
    A clutch is the way to go...I'll be upgrading soon myself. I just can't justify it now, cause if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

mtbr member
    The green looks pretty nice on a 2x SLX crank.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post

That does look nice.

Are your chainring bolts aluminum?

mtbr member
    Don't think so. They are the ones that came stock with the crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Went for a DH weekend at Mt. Snow VT and Highland park in NH and never once dropped my chain! RF NW 36t and an SLX shadow plus worked flawlessly in everything from gnarly rock gardens to jumps bigger than I have ever gone off of before! I even did an XC race on the bike the Wednesday night before! Love it!

Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One gnarly ride on my 34t RF NW and no drops (no guide or bash or anything). RACEFACE DID IT!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Just installed my 30T and went 1x10 on my FS 29er. Dropped close to a pound off the bike! Can't wait to try it.

Running a 32T on my SS too just for added security.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 34T on my Dragon 29er. Still working perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Does the chain touch the spider? Mine does, and I'm using a 32T - just like yours in green too with a Shimano XT M785 cranks. While the chain does not drop, it seems to be grinding away at the spider tabs.

Cheers
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post

mtbr member
    Anyone know if they are coming out with more colors?
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zachrharon View Post
    Does the chain touch the spider? Mine does, and I'm using a 32T - just like yours in green too with a Shimano XT M785 cranks. While the chain does not drop, it seems to be grinding away at the spider tabs.

Cheers
    Z
    Does not touch on my 30 or 32T.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    The 30's are built thicker than the rest to move the chain away from most spiders. Mine arrives on Wednesday with a new X9 Clutch, can't wait!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Just installed my 30T and went 1x10 on my FS 29er. Dropped close to a pound off the bike! Can't wait to try it.

Running a 32T on my SS too just for added security.
    What bolts did you use on your FSA comet. I purchased what I thought would be short enough bolts for a single ring, but the chain-ring only fit in the position where the biggest 42T ring was when running a triple crank. It's mounted in front of the 4 arms instead of behind like I've seen in other setups. I guess i'll get some washers or find bolts that fit. Also gonna drop a couple links from the chain. It looks a little saggy.

I'm also using a 32 tooth.

Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-20130820_002446.jpg
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Got my 30t Narrow Wide installed today, along with a new Type 2 X9 RD:

Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-wb3s.jpg

I have to say, I'm impressed and very pleased! All this time I was worried my bum knee would give me issues trying to climb with just a single ring, but the 30T really wasn't so bad at all. Definitely low enough with my 11-36T cassette to make steeper climbs like we have out here in the PNW just as doable as on my 2x10.

If anything, I wonder if maybe a 32T might not have been better, but I'll give it a few rides before I take that leap.

The X9 Type 2 RD is great, I had been wanting one of these even before I decided to go 1x10. So easy to install and dial in with only one deraileur to worry about, and almost no chain slap at all. Still not ready to take off my chainstay guard, but things are MUCH quieter. I hit some of close by drops and urban terrain to check everything out, and never had a single issue with the chain dropping where it had in the past. Everything worked perfectly, very happy about that (this bike has been plagued with little issues that were a pain to solve).

The weirdest thing for me in making the switch has been not having the ability to just dump from the larger chainring to the granny with one button press when things go uphill suddenly. On a lot of the rolly stuff, the FD was the only changing I needed to do. But with the SRAM 1:1 actuation on the RD, it's not hard to dump 3-4 gears with one thumb press, so it's not a huge issue. Just a different way to get used to.

Can't wait to put this through it's paces on the rough downhill trails tomorrow. Almost feels like a new bike with no FD, left shifter, chain guide or bash guard.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    It did. I ground a small bevel on the spider to make room for the chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

My 1x9 WnW

Just got my 34T WnW installed today.
    Looks cool and I will be trail testing it tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-img_9594.jpg  

Race Face Narrow-Wide Single Ring...-bike-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just installed and finished my first ride with the 30t version today. This thing looks great and performed flawlessly. This is just one 10 mile ride on a trail with some rocks and roots but nothing crazy so not a definitive test but so far so good. The one thing I really want to call out though is how incredibly quiet this new drivetrain is compared to my old 3x9 set up. It's so nice to hear the tires on the dirt instead of the "CLANG" of the chain on the front derailleur.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast