Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Jenson USA
    Jun 2011

Good job! Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review

Here's a non-sponsored video I made outlining my experience with a Race Face Narrow - Wide Chainring... Hope you guys enjoy.

Appears to be a pocket-friendly XX1 style chainring. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Last edited by TruTone; 08-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice review man! Looks like a good product, always nice to have more options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for posting! My Race Face Narrow/Wide 30t ring arrived today. I'm planning to try it out on my existing 1x9 drivetrain. I'm running a long cage SLX derailleur now. I'd like to run a shorter rear derailleur, but not sure if I can run a short cage with my 12-36 cassette. Great video!

Jenson USA
    Jun 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jstrat73 View Post
    Not sure if I can run a short cage with my 12-36 cassette.
    You most certainly can... If you go 10 speed. Max cog on a short cage road (which would still be 9 speed capable) is a 32t, although with a an RD-5701 (not 5700, the old version) you miiiight be able to go up to a 34T if your derailleur hanger is adequately long.

If you DO go 10 speed, the Short cage Shimano Zee Freeride Version is what you're looking for. Cage length does not determine maximum cog (any Shimano 10sp Dyna-Sys rear derailleur will take a 36T maximum cog), but it does determine maximum chain takeup. Short cages are the optimal setup for any single ring setup.

Single Chainring - Short Cage.
    Double Chainring - Medium Cage. (short cage can sometimes be used on narrow range double setups if you don't cross chain)
    Triple Chainring - Long Cage. Medium cage for the daring and disciplined (those who don't cross chain)

These aren't hard and fast rules as you can see... The modern rear derailleur will work admirably with an astonishingly wide range of chain tension/lengths.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review

Thanks for the info TruTone!

dvn
    mtbr member
    The noise appears to be a characteristic of these rings. Both my 30T 1x10 and 32T single speed do it. It is that same "dry chain" sound that you described. I had my first real test of my 30T 1x10 set-up today and it passed with flying colors! I'm running a standard X9 mid-cage derailleur. Very rocky, rooty trails with lots of ledges. No drops. No issues. I'll deal with the noise. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review-img_20130811_111053_270_zps1e1c7ce9.jpg  

Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review-img_20130811_111053_270.jpg  

Last edited by dvn; 08-17-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My 32 tooth been in the mail for a couple days. I'm crossing my fingers as I'm going from a triple crank down to one with an xt shadow 10 speed without clutch in rear.
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just went 1x10 from 2x10 last night with the 36 tooth version. I have a Shimano crank and the install could not have been any easier. I already had the Xt shadow + clutch derailleur so it should be a great setup. I just had some surgery a week ago and have to wait one more week before I can ride but every report on this chainring has been positive and I anticipate the same. The cross chaining in the 36x36 is a little concerning when you look at it but we will see how it holds up.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review

I've got ~100 miles on my 30T with a mid cage X9 (non clutch) 11-34 cassette. On a hardtail.

Not a single drop, not a single problem! :thumbup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review-uploadfromtaptalk1376750668399.jpg  

dvn
    mtbr member
    Do you guys notice the slight "dry chain" noise as well?
    > dbhammercycle

I work in .001 tolerances

Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Not here. Plus the sound of gravel under my tire masks any 'friction' noise while riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It went away pretty quickly. I would guess after a 100 miles. I now have 500+ miles on mine with 3 dropped chains. All of them seem to have dropped during times I was not pedaling and hit a sharp bump. I believe that had I been pedaling and the tension been there, I wouldn't have dropped the chain ever. I run an XTR shadow RD, no guide or tensioner, 38T.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster View Post
    It went away pretty quickly. I would guess after a 100 miles. I now have 500+ miles on mine with 3 dropped chains. All of them seem to have dropped during times I was not pedaling and hit a sharp bump. I believe that had I been pedaling and the tension been there, I wouldn't have dropped the chain ever. I run an XTR shadow RD, no guide or tensioner, 38T.
    It dies not sound like you have the clutch derailleur.. I think this is the key to making the 1x10 without the chain guide dependable way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    It dies not sound like you have the clutch derailleur.. I think this is the key to making the 1x10 without the chain guide dependable way to go.
    I do and it works fine. It isn't a bullet proof solution to dropping chains though, albeit plenty close to perfect for me. I have complete confidence in the ring.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster View Post
    I do and it works fine. It isn't a bullet proof solution to dropping chains though, albeit plenty close to perfect for me. I have complete confidence in the ring.
    Well that's good to hear since I'll have same setup. Not looking for 100% but 99% sounds good to me.
    Noobish

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_vegas View Post
    Well that's good to hear since I'll have same setup. Not looking for 100% but 99% sounds good to me.
    That's what I am hoping for as well. I can finally ride again starting this Thursday and am looking forward to testing out the new setup.

mtbr member
    The noise appears to be a characteristic of these rings. Both my 30T 1x10 and 32T single speed do it. It is that same "dry chain" sound that you described. I had my first real test of my 30T 1x10 set-up today and it passed with flying colors! I'm running a standard X9 mid-cage derailleur. Very rocky, rooty trails with lots of ledges. No drops. No issues. I'll deal with the noise. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    What type of chain is that?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    What type of chain is that?
    It's a KMC X10SL on my 1x10 and a KMC Z610HX on the SS. Like Shagster mentioned, I think there may just be a break in period for the sprockets. The one on my SS was noticeably quieter on the second ride.
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my 32t setup done just now. Re-lubed re-tourqued. Passed the curb and bunny hop tests.

Didn't remove any links from the chain yet and I still have to get spacers or shorter bolts in order put the crank behind the crank holes where the old 32T was in my triple crank setup. (I have it in front where the 42t was before.)

Here it is setup with my city rims, tires,seat post, and gel seat.

Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review-20130820_002446.jpgRace Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review-20130820_002637.jpg
    Noobish

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_vegas View Post
    Got my 32t setup done just now. Re-lubed re-tourqued. Passed the curb and bunny hop tests.

Didn't remove any links from the chain yet and I still have to get spacers or shorter bolts in order put the crank behind the crank holes where the old 32T was in my triple crank setup. (I have it in front where the 42t was before.)

Here it is setup with my city rims, tires,seat post, and gel seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130820_002446.jpg 
Views:	9588 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	825302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130820_002637.jpg 
Views:	1595 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	825303
    You just need the available spacers. It's a cleaner look too. I got mine on eBay.
    Name:  Race Face Spacers.JPG
Views: 22244
Size:  12.5 KB
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You just need the available spacers. It's a cleaner look too. I got mine on eBay.
    Thanks I'll look for a set of these.

-Dirty
    Noobish

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm interested in using something like this for a 1x10 solution (don't know why I want to break my almost-new bike, but I do <grin>). It looks like I'll need this RaceFace N/W 32t chain ring and possibly some spacers.

But what about the rear derailleur? I currently have a Shimano Deore XT derailleur and 11x36 cassette with my 3x10 setup.I assume the cassette can stay, but the derailleur? Some of the threads suggest I need a clutch-style, or(?) a short-cage style like the Zee? Are these necessary? If I do this, can I reuse my existing shifter and cable?

Hope these aren't ignorant questions -- trying to piece together a shopping list.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
    I'm interested in using something like this for a 1x10 solution (don't know why I want to break my almost-new bike, but I do &lt;grin&gt. It looks like I'll need this RaceFace N/W 32t chain ring and possibly some spacers.

But what about the rear derailleur? I currently have a Shimano Deore XT derailleur and 11x36 cassette with my 3x10 setup.I assume the cassette can stay, but the derailleur? Some of the threads suggest I need a clutch-style, or(?) a short-cage style like the Zee? Are these necessary? If I do this, can I reuse my existing shifter and cable?

Hope these aren't ignorant questions -- trying to piece together a shopping list.
    A clutch rear derailleur might be necessary, it might not. Ive had no dropped chains with my non clutch X7, and I have also heard of many others doing just fine with non clutch rd's.

And if you do opt for a new rd, yes your existing cable and shifter will work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    I had my first ride on my 32t set up with a x9 10spd non-cluth derailleur on my steel hardtail (Cotic BFe). I am amazed at how well this setup works. I was riding with a buddy who was on a nomad running 2x9 and over the same terrain and pretty much at the same speed he had two drops and I had zero.

I was convinced I would need to get a type2 derailleur now I am not so sure. I will probably grab another 32 depending on how fast these will wear out.

mtbr member

Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review

I've had mine for a couple weeks now on a XT crank with a FH Zee Rear-d. Works fine, no dropped chains yet. I do have a weird clicking noise when it's in the last 2-3 easiest gears that never noticed before. I only hear it when it's on the repair stand though so I think it's okay.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast