mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Race Face ISIS crank arm removal

how much pressure is needed to remove the crank arms on a Race Face Ride XC crank arm, im using the park tool ccp-4, i didnt push too hard once i felt resistance but it seems that the crank arms are not going to come off??
    is it normal to have to put a LOT of torque on the puller to get the arm off?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Check for crank bolt washers...

Quote Originally Posted by nick irons
    how much pressure is needed to remove the crank arms on a Race Face Ride XC crank arm, im using the park tool ccp-4, i didnt push too hard once i felt resistance but it seems that the crank arms are not going to come off??
    is it normal to have to put a LOT of torque on the puller to get the arm off?
    I'm not familiar with the Race Face cranks on your bike, but when I first attempted to remove the cranks from my Shimano BB, I had neglected to remove the crank bolt washers from inside the crank. The crank puller was pushing on these washers instead of on the spindle and, obviously, I was unable to remove the cranks. Once I took the washers out, the cranks came off easily. (The washers were a bit deformed from my earlier efforts, but still serviceable.)

I have removed cranks from a Truvativ ISIS BB in the past. As I recall, you have to torque it kind of hard at the outset to get the pull started. After that, it comes off easy. That said, if you're muscling it more than you think you should, then you probably are...

banned
    Ok, I have the same cranks basically. What you need is a little piece that my LBS gave to me. On the drive side anyways. That small threaded piece on it went inside the spindle. That happened on the drive side though. Left side came off EASY.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    I'm not familiar with the Race Face cranks on your bike, but when I first attempted to remove the cranks from my Shimano BB, I had neglected to remove the crank bolt washers from inside the crank. The crank puller was pushing on these washers instead of on the spindle and, obviously, I was unable to remove the cranks. Once I took the washers out, the cranks came off easily. (The washers were a bit deformed from my earlier efforts, but still serviceable.)

I have removed cranks from a Truvativ ISIS BB in the past. As I recall, you have to torque it kind of hard at the outset to get the pull started. After that, it comes off easy. That said, if you're muscling it more than you think you should, then you probably are...
    thanks for the tips, i think i just need to give it a bit more muscle to get it started, i also had to take the drive side crank off of my monocog today to put my new chainring on and it took a LOT of force initially and then came right off, now that i have a reference ill try the kona tommorow and see.