Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    368

    race face evolve xc vs atlas

    evolve cranks weigh about the same but are much cheaper. do they lose much in stiffness and durability vs atlas? will be removing all the chainrings and replacing with a single 38 tooth chainring to mate with a rohloff speedhub for aggressive xc and light freeriding/downhilling. any opinions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the flesh?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    351
    if you can afford the extra money i'd definitely get the atlas cranks, especially when you say you will be doing light freeriding/downhilling. you might also look at the deus cranks which are probably stiffer than the xc and lighter. I just bought some deus cranks and took them out for the first time on sunday. I am 200+ lbs and they felt great.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    368
    can the deus cranks withstand drops of 3 feet or so? i weigh more like 150 lbs.

  4. #4
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,125

    just get the Atlas

    They're always on sale for around $200, which isn't much considering you are getting an awesome crankset and BB. The Atlas has been on my bike for a season. It's the stiffest, toughest crankset I've ever owned, and I've never been afraid of taking it off jumps and drops. I weigh 235lbs, and I knew I wanted some reassurance that my cranks weren't going to break or that the arms wouldn't come loose (which had been happening a lot on my crappy Hussefelts). Look, I would gladly become the spokesperson for the Atlas cranks, without pay, because I like them so much.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255
    How does the new HollowTech2 XT crankset compare to these???
    Intense Tracer

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47

    Manufactured...

    Atlas is manufactured in Canada (North America) vs. Evolve mass prod. in Taiwan.
    Last edited by RichardHead; 02-17-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: ,and Deus is also Canada prod.

  7. #7
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,079
    The Evolve cranks will hold up to light freeride & AM. They are a bit lighter than the Atlas and don't have the zoot factor. They are pretty stiff but slightly less stiff than a set of Truvative Stylo Team ISIS I had before I guess 6000 vs. 7000 alum is the factor there and probably similar stiffness difference for the Atlas cranks (more stiff). Tho, when I am riding I don't notice any flex.

    Evolve cranks also come with a steel granny, for better or worse depending on your needs. It is a plus for me.

    So far so good for me, and I was able to pick them up for $120.

    Mr. P

  8. #8
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by metaldork
    evolve cranks weigh about the same but are much cheaper. do they lose much in stiffness and durability vs atlas? will be removing all the chainrings and replacing with a single 38 tooth chainring to mate with a rohloff speedhub for aggressive xc and light freeriding/downhilling. any opinions?

    go for the Evolves. a good chunk of the money to upgrade to the others goes to the alu chainrings, alu ring bolts, and the alu main crank bolt. unless you are a huge guy, and it looks like you arent, they should work fine. unless budget isn't a worry, or you just want more bling.

    since you're replacing all the rings with one, having the lighter alu to start with should be a non-issue. you can even replace the steel ring bolts with alu, and the steel fixing bolt with an alu one from a Deus set (available seperately) to come in with less weight, but still spend much less money than for a full on Deus setup.

    i've got two pair of Evolves going strong, and while i'm not a big guy, i do ride pretty aggressively. i've done plenty of things over 3 feet with both; one on a beefy hardtail, one on a 7x7" squishy. not a wimper out of either. no problems whatsoever. i'm about 140#, add another 15-20# when all geared up. at our size, flex with these shouldn't be any sort of problem. i don't even know if i'd notice any!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  9. #9
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardHead
    Atlas is manufactured in Canada (North America) vs. Evolve mass prod. in Taiwan.
    I think that more important than where they are produced -which may not matter that much to some, since Taiwanese factories can manufacture stuff to bery high quality standards- is the fact the Atlas has a lifetime warranty, Evolve has a one year warranty. .

    That being said, I rode a Evolve crank last season, no problems. Plenty stiff and strong. No bolt loosening or any of the other X-type blues.

    Wouldn't recommend the Deus, they are probably not strong enough for what he wants.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255
    I have the evolve XC. Its held lots of tech. singletrack but I dont feel its that efficient. Maybe I need a new bottom bracket???
    Intense Tracer

  11. #11
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,398
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    I have the evolve XC. Its held lots of tech. singletrack but I dont feel its that efficient. Maybe I need a new bottom bracket???

    if you've got a spacer at all in the wrong spot/order, the setup will have lots of drag. that's true of all the Race Face external stuff. go through your setup directions again, and see what's what. pull your cups and be sure they've threaded properly into the BB shell.

    may help to do this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309

    did this with both my setups. can't really tell a difference in the way they feel, but if it helps outin the long run it may be worth it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  12. #12
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    I have the evolve XC. Its held lots of tech. singletrack but I dont feel its that efficient. Maybe I need a new bottom bracket???
    I am having the opposite experience. Tho my previous ISIS cranks spun freely and were stiffer, I oddly feel more efficient on the Evolve cranks.

    Like the other posters wrote, check preload and bearing grease.

    Here is a good guide in both PDF and video to help with preload:
    http://www.raceface.com/tech/install-inst.htm

    Mr. P

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I think that more important than where they are produced -which may not matter that much to some, since Taiwanese factories can manufacture stuff to bery high quality standards- is the fact the Atlas has a lifetime warranty, Evolve has a one year warranty. .

    That being said, I rode a Evolve crank last season, no problems. Plenty stiff and strong. No bolt loosening or any of the other X-type blues.

    Wouldn't recommend the Deus, they are probably not strong enough for what he wants.
    Not a dig against Taiwan, just the reason for the cost variation; but funny you should mention the warranty issue in the same sentence as Taiwanese quality

  14. #14
    The devil is an angel too
    Reputation: FrozenK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,302

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardHead
    Not a dig against Taiwan, just the reason for the cost variation; but funny you should mention the warranty issue in the same sentence as Taiwanese quality
    Well, that was the point: that being made in Taiwan by itself is not such a big issue. In this case, there appears to be a QC issue, given the radical difference in warranty.

    One example is Giant, they produce everything in Taiwan, and they offer a lifetime warranty on their frames. So, it is not because the cranks are made in Taiwan, but because they are made to a lower standard.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

    Oscar Wilde

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •