Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Race Face Deus X Type Crank

708 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Brazos 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a bike that comes with a RF Deus crank. In reading reviews it appears there has been a number of problems with the bearings and a bolt among other things. Most of the reviews I have found are old. There have been a few reviews that indicate that sometime in 2008 RF addressed the issues and the later model cranks are pretty good. Does anyone know if this is true? I am considering have the crank swapped out but no need to spend the money if the RF Deus issues have been resolved.

Thanks,

Brazos

#5 ·
I have both a set of deus and a set of atlas and the only issue I've had with either of them is occasionally losing the extractor bolt on the Atlas. Easily remedied with some blue loctite and a torque wrench. Biggest thing with these cranks is to follow the directions that come with them, take your time to get the bearing preload right and tighten the cranks until they stop and are tight the first time, after that you can torque them to spec.

The bearings in their older bb's definitely weren't that great, I haven't tried they're newer ones yet, I've just replaced the bearings in my old bb's with standard Enduro's.

happy trails...

squish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.