mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Race Face Deus Ovalized/Stripped??????

My Race Face Deus crankset has play at the spline on the drive side. I think that the crank arm may be ovalized or slightly stripped. The spline on the axle sticks out past the spline on the arm so no matter how tight I make the arm fixing bolt the play will not go away. Has anyone else had this problem? Will Race Face warranty it? And lastly why did Race Face use such small splines?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You probably just broke the plastic reducer piece on that side. I had the same symptoms when I broke mine. Around here, the LBS had the part in stock, and I had the worn-out bearings replaced at the same time.

ups and downs
    I had the same problem, the retaining bolt was tight and yet the drive side arm developed a wobble that turned out to be play in the arm/spindle interface. It was warranteed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I had the same problem, the retaining bolt was tight and yet the drive side arm developed a wobble that turned out to be play in the arm/spindle interface. It was warranteed.
    I had the same problem here with the 1st generation of this crank. Raceface is a PITA to deal with on warranty and so was my local Performance for some reason so i just sent it back to Performance and got a new one sent to me. I think the press-on concept with no hard stop is flawed but oh well Shimano has switched to it and Raceface offers a Lifetime warranty on it.

thecentralscrutinizer
    That's the same thing mine had and that was 3 yrs ago. It's hard to believe that RF STILL HAS NOT FIXED THIS PROBLEM.

Unbelievable.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman