mtbr member

Race Face Deus Cranks Keep Coming Loose

Ok, I have about had it! Do I need to lock tight these things or what? I've had to tighten them DURING every ride. Suggestions please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Torque wrench. Locktite.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by No I'm Spartacus
    Torque wrench. Locktite.
    Yep. I've had a Deus crankset on for a couple months now. I had the same problem. I did have a crank loosen after a few weeks. Torque wrench and Loctite took care of it. I've had zero problems since.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    Ok, I have about had it! Do I need to lock tight these things or what? I've had to tighten them DURING every ride. Suggestions please.
    The driveside crankarm must bottom out on the end of the axle spline stop. If it does not it will fall off. If you have too many chainline spacers the crankarm will not be able to bottom out and will fall off. If you set them up properly they will work like a dream. If you do not face and chase your bb or put the wrong amount of spacers they will be an unpleasant paper weight for you. It is all in the set up.

Trail rider and racer
    This happened me on a crankset of another brand. After some time and many attempts of correctly torquing it, the crank arm still came loose and I had to replace my arm because of a defective spline interface.
    Trev!

Let's have a beer or 10.
    I concur with Wrench, make sure they bottom out on the axle. BUT I remember seeing somewhere here that a batch of RF had a spline tolerance issue. You might be one unlucky dude with this. Mine are trouble free.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I bought these cranksets at the same time. His immediatly would loosen up. The 10mm dust cap eventually fell off. Raceface sent him another crank arm and dust cap no questions.

I've had mine loosen up. When the 10mm dustcap loosens there is movement in the sline interface eventho it is bottomed out. When I tighten the 10mm dustcap the movement goes away. Doesn't seem right. I emailed raceface and they want me to send it in first. They haven't returned my call either.

Another person I know, He's and extermely talented shop mechanic, had is dust cap come loose during a ride.

Raceface admitted to buddy #1 that there was an early production flaw in the spline interface that is now fixed.

mtbr member
    While wrenching on my wife's bike this morning I noticed that her Deus cranks were extremely loose. So I grabbed the installation instructions to check the torque specifications. Here's what it says, "Torque requirements may range from 30-50 ft/lbs to bottom out Deus X-Type cranks." What kind of specification is that?!? I think I'm going to be spending some time in RF's booth in Vegas and see if I can't figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong with these cranks.