mtbr member
    Dec 2009

race face/blackspire

hey, i was wondering if anyone is using the blackspire blackguard or granny god in a setup, and if so, how do you have it set up and does it work well? here's my dilemma. i want to switch to a single front chainring, and my original plan was to drop my granny ring and replace it with the blackguard to make a sort of chain sandwich. then i saw someone who had the blackguard, chainring, and granny god, so they were able to keep the granny ring, and ditch the middle ring. right now i am running race face evolve dh cranks with a 22/32/bash setup. any thoughts? thanks, cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a "sandwich" setup using a Shimano bashguard/ 32T / Blackguard......I also have a Blackspire stinger....I have some old-schoold Square-Taper RaceFace XC cranks and a Shimano Square Taper BB (68 mm X 113 mm)

Here's the deal....with my setup, the gap between the 32T and the Blackguard was still wide enough that sometims the chain would still fall off and get caught between the ring and the blackguard.......so I installed the blackspire stinger and that eliminated about 75% of the dropped chains, but it still wasn't good enough for me....

So what I did is I took a piece of Lexan plastic, cut it to the size of the blackguard, and installed it between the ring and the blackguard............no more dropped chains....

It works now, but too many headaches and ruined rides trying to make it work......in hindsight I would probably have gone with something from e13 or gamut......