mtbr member
    May 2005

Race Face bearing removal

I've got the Deus and the bearings are gritty. I would like to take the bearings out to clean them. Does anyone know how to get them out of their shells? Not just unthread from the BB but to actually get the bearing from the shells to take their seals off and clean them.
    Thank,
    Jim

Chrome Toaster
    I wouldn't bother taking them out of the shell to clean them. Just repack them with new grease and squeeze out the dirty one. If you want to take them out though its easier to leave the the cups mounted on the frame. Take a thin and long flat head screwdriver and insert it through one of the bearing openings to remove the dust cap on the opposite side cup. Wedge the screwdriver carefully between the plastic dust cap and the shell from the inside of the BB. Tap screwdriver gently until the cap starts to pop off the front and pull it out. Be gentle because those caps are quite brittle and are easy to crack. Once you get the cap off the bearing will be exposed. Remove the cartridge seal with a pointy object as you normally would and just flush the bearing with solvent. If you really insist on taking the entire bearing out thats a bit more invovlved. I've used an L shaped flat head screwdriver and gradually wedged around the rear of the bearing and cup. Work it around until it comes out. To press it back in a headset press comes in quite handy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, Hecubus

It turned out I had more problems with the BB than a simple cleaning and I had to replace it. Great explanation on how to clean them on your part though.

Thanks again,
    Jim