Zig
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here. Race Face Atlas X-Type BB problem?

I have a RF Atlas X-Type crankset no more than two months old. I noticed when I had the chain off that there is a bit of resistance when I spin the cranks. I am use to cranks spinning pretty freely when the chain is off. It's enough resistance that it may slow me down. Maybe this is normal and the effect is negligible when pedaling? Can the bearings be gummed up? Another problem? I don't hear any noise nor do I feel any grinding. Thoughts?

Driven by watts inside
    Sounds like you've got too much side-loading on the bearings. You can adjust it with the rubber spacers that go on either end of the spindle.

Straight out of the box, they come assembled with a ~5mm rubber spacer on the non-drive side (it sits in a recessed portion of the crank arm) and suggest that you use 1-2, 1mm spacers on the drive side after you slide the spindle through the bearings.

Personally, I removed the 5mm spacer and used the spare 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side. I use 1, 1mm spacer on the drive side (in addition to the red, 1mm spacer that sinks into the drive-side crank arm). This gives me a perfect amount of pressure and the cranks rotate freely.

As a side note, my first Bottom Bracket that came with my Deus had metal BB spacing rings (you know... the big ones. 2 on the drive side, 1 on non-drive). I just replaced that BB last week and the new one came with plastic spacers instead. I prefer the new plastic spacers because they compress a little when torquing down the BB cups. This allowed me to more finely adjust my bearing side-loading.

- Jeremy -