And then?

New question here. Race Face Atlas - Dissassembly?

I've got the tool for removing those cups from the BB shell....But first, how do you take out the cranks themselves??? (or is it the other way around?) Once you remove the large (8mm) capping bolt is it a question of just pulling them out with force or a few taps with a rubber mullet on the chain rings? I think they're held snug by the rubber seal rings (one or two) but as you can see I'm not sure and would like to avoid the dammage. I only wish to take them out in order to get full access to my main pivot for servicing/maintenance.

Thanks
    [SIZE="2"]"GO FISH OR GO HOME!"[/SIZE]

bmg
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Crank Removal

There are two allen keys you need to pull the cranks (8 and 10mm I think). You leave the cap ON and insert the 8mm into the hole in the cap. You simply have to loosen the inside bolt while the outside bolt (the cap) is still on. If you look close, you'll see the writing and torque specs on the cap that needs a 10mm hex key.

Make sure you get the shims and washers back in (and in the right order) when you put it back together.

-bmg

And then?

I need some clarification

When I unscrew the 8mm retaining bolt (drive side) the cranks don't pull apart from each other so I was wandering what else is holding them together? Do you just force them apart? And what is the best way to separate the two?

Thanks

The devil is an angel too
    There are two things, well, there should be two things screwed there:
    -an 8mm bolt that screws into the spindle
    -a 10mm cap that screws into the crank arm

The way it works, you unscrew the 8mm bolt, that pushes onto the 10mm cap and brings the whole thing out. Like the old self-extracting crank bolts. If the 10mm cap is not there, then you need to get it there.

You cna check the RaceFace website for detailed instructions. Or the Park Tools. And I think there is a thread floating around here with instructions too. The Enduro bearing thread I believe.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

And then?

Thanks

That makes perfect sense. This way it will avoid damaging the cranks by forcing them out un-evenly. I'll try this out and see how it goes.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Yep, leave that cap on there, all the way down on top of the 8mm bolt. Don't try to crank down on the 10mm cap, though, because it is rather shallow and you will wreck it. It is only meant to have the 8mm bolt pulled against it.