mtbr member
    Sep 2005

R440 shifter problem...Front Derailleur...HELP!!

I have a new Scott Roadster with flat bar shifters. It has never been built.

I am having trouble setting up the FRONT derailler (triple) to work properly. I've never had to deal with 3 chainrings before (I usually run small, medium, bash). I am following the Shimano procedure for set up, but the shifter seems to have 4 positions (where I think it should have 3...one for each chainring). I have worked on bikes for years with no problems. This one has me baffled.

The bike is set up with the proper R440 shifters and R443 front derailleur. It is an 8-speed triple. I've got the rear shifting fine.

I aligned the FD so it is 2mm off the largest chainring teeth, then parallel to the largest chainring. I adjust the FD to the smallest chainring using the limit screw so the derailleur is 0.5mm away from the chain. Then attach the cable (I have the proper routing) and remove slack.

Here is where the problem starts. The shifter has 4 positions. One for the smallest chainring. The first click moves the derailleur a little towards the middle chainring, but only a few mm (the shifter indicator remains at the smallest chainring, moving just a slight bit). The second click of the shifters is for the middle chainring (at least according to the shifter indicator), but the chain doesn't go onto the middle chainring (there is a lot of rubbing of the FD and chain at this point). The third click of the shifter moves the FD up to the big chainring, but way too far. It seems like this shifter has too much throw. It has 4 positions, and moves the FD too far.

If I adjust the limit screw properly on the FD for the largest chainring (0.5mm betwenn FD and chain), I cannot shift into the 4th position (largest chainring) at all. The shifter tries to go too far, and the limit screw will not allow it. It seems like I have the cable too tight. If I loosen the cable, I cannot shift into the largest chainring at all.

Any tips on how to set this properly???? I am following Shimano's procedure..

I cannot figure out why the shifter has 4 positions (is it broken?).

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Okay this is a fairly new deal....

for front shifters and road type rings/bikes. Only been around since the 10 speed drive train came out. It's like this. Since the advent of 9 speed and 10 speed drive trains and narrower front derailleur cages, it has become more difficult to keep the chain from rubbing the front of the cage when in the small ring up front and the mid to high gears in the rear. Granted the small/small combo isn't one that should be used, at least not often. But with a 9 speed or 10 speed drive train it has become near impossibe to keep the chain off the cage in gears as low as 6th or 7th gear. To elimanate the noise shimano has added an "intermediate" click between the small and middle rings. This moves the cage toward the middle ring a few mm and allows the use of a wider range of gears "noise free" while in the small ring. It can be a bit confusing when you first encounter it. Now I realize that you aren't using a 9 or 10 speed drive train, but it is cheaper just to make them all that way than it is to have to make two versions of the same front shifter. Anyway that's what you are experiencing and what it is all about. Just set it up the way the directions tell you, it's actaully the way it is supposed to be.

So the way to set this up is as follows. First remove the cable from the clamp of the front der, and place the rear on the Large/Low gear cog. Adjust the barrel adjuster so that approximately 1mm of the metal ferruel of the adjuster (not the one on the end of the cable housing) is showing out side the end of the adjuster. Adjust the low limit screw for the proper spacing of the rear of the cage from the chain, approx .5 to 1mm. Next tension and clamp the cable in place. Shift to the first click and confirm the short movement. Click again to shift to the middle ring. If you shift great, if not adjust the barrel adjuster until you get a smooth shift. Now back the high limit out about two full turns and carefully shift to the big ring. No shift, keep backing out the limit screw until you get a shift to the big ring. Now shift the rear der to 8th gear. If you have chain rub adjust the limit out. If the derailleur doesn't move out then adjust the barrel adjuster to move the cage outward a bit more then snub it with the limit screw. Keep at it until you have a reasonably smooth shift to the big ring, Then check your front shifting at both extremes of the rear. Then check rear shifting in each of the front chain rings. Just remember that second intermediate click from the small ring is supposed to be there. Try not to use the barrel adjuster for anything but the middle ring and use the limit screws as just that, limit screws. It can take a little bit to get used to setting up tripples. Keep at it, you'll get it figured out eventually.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Squash, great info. Thanks for the lengthy explanation. I figured the shifter might be busted. I'll try your method. I messed around with it some more last night, but it is still not too good, and can be much better. I backed off on the upper limit a lot, and that seemed to help.

I've never dealt with a triple before. My road bike is a double, and on my mountain bike, I run small and medium chainrings, and replace the large chainring with a bashguard. My MTB shifter doesn't have two positions on the small chainring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No problem, hope...

it works out for you. I know I was pretty hung up on it the first time I encountered the "4 click shifter", until I got to thinking about it. It was on a 10 speed tripple road bike. Had me going for about a half hour. Had to walk away from it and work on something else for a bit. But once I thought it through it made sense. You just have to remember that the second click is there and push though it if you are headed to the middle ring!

Good luck with it. Once you have it sorted out, the four clickers perform every bit as well as the 3 click system.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"