mtbr member
    May 2004

quickie question

i have an '04 trek 8000 with the stock crankset and cassette.

i want to upgrade to an XTR rear derraileur, but i dont know if i want short or long cage.

i never use the smallest cog on the crankset, if that helps.

what will be the effects of running the short cage with this setup?

do i need to change my chain too?

thanks in advance.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

answers

Quote Originally Posted by caseyjones6
    i have an '04 trek 8000 with the stock crankset and cassette.

i want to upgrade to an XTR rear derraileur, but i dont know if i want short or long cage.

i never use the smallest cog on the crankset, if that helps.

what will be the effects of running the short cage with this setup?

do i need to change my chain too?

thanks in advance.
    Firstly I would say save your money, "upgrading" to an XTR derailleur will not in any way improve your cycling, since all derailleur from cheap to expensive shift great these days. If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, invest it in something that will make your riding better, like tires for your terrain, or a better saddle. All derailleurs shift fine, by spending 3x as much for and xtr derailleur, you save an ounce or two. Deraillleurs are among the least upgrade-worth parts on your bike, since they all shift ok, and they're all vulnerable to getting trashed from the cage hitting a rock, or from a branch getting stuck between the cog and derailleur cage. Lots of smart seasoned MTBers run cheap derailleurs precisely because derailleur are vulnerable, disposable components. Buy yourself some better tires instead.

You never use the smallest "chainring" (cogs are in back, chainrings are in front) on your crankset? In that case, you could use any road rear derailleur, you don't even need the extra maximum capacity built into MTB rear derailleurs. Since your tooth difference up front is what, 10 or 12 teeth, versus 20 or 22 if you used all 3 chainrings, you could do fine with a shitmano 105 or similar rear derailleur, since you don't need a rear derailleur that can wrap up enough chain to account for the big difference that comes from having 3 chainrings up front.
    But there's no shifting benefit from changing from what you have now.