mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Quick question about Phil Wood BB

I'm used to shimano BB where you add spacers if needed for a 68mm shell and all that jazz, but now I have a phil wood BB that I want to use on a 73mm shell bike.

The spindle, if i have that term right, measures 113mm, but adding the cups makes the "bracket" part 68mm. However on their website it says 68/73, but they don't offer any spacers right?

someone explain this to me, still getting used to these kind of BBs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I'm not too sure I'm understanding you

It sounds like you are questioning if you can move the BB in the Cups to aligne for chainline. If thats what you mean. A Phil can move a max of 5mm in either direction to get the right chain line. Hope this is what you were asking about.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    On a 68 the cups will stick out (if installed symetrically) 2.5 mm on each side of the BB shell. On a 73 BB shell, the cups will screw in all the way so that the edges of the cups line up the the shell edges.
    Last edited by Wildeyes; 03-19-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes
    On a 68 the cups will stick out (if installed symetrically) 2.5 mm on each side of the BB shell. On a 73 BB shell, the cups will screw in all the way so that the edges of the cups line up the the shell edges.
    that's what i need to know. Thanks!

i'm going to try out a set of White Industries Eno on my Intense Slopestyle until I can replace them with something else

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Phil Woods can be a little tedious to set up. You really need to get the BB in and get your chainline dialed in, and once that is all done, you take out the BB and add the glue and put it back in again. You need a little patience, but once it is in, you will rarely ever have to mess with it again. I put one in my race bike about 2 years ago, and it hasn't needed any attention since. Can't say that about the External Bearing XT's that I ran for about 1 race. Kept having to take them out and clean them every other ride due to the horrid noise they made when they got slightly dirty. They were a big pain for me, but the Phil's are set and forget.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!