mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Quick Links: SRAM vs Wipperman

Apparently I bent my PowerLink on a brand new PC-991. Even the LBS guys could not get it off. Anyhow, I need to cut it out (somehow) and replace it. I've never been that impressed with the PowerLink, and I have read that the Connex Link is easier to use, especially when grimy. Has anyone had experience with both to compare the two? Can I use a Connex Link on the PC-991 chain?
    Thanks

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by rokbottom47
    Apparently I bent my PowerLink on a brand new PC-991. Even the LBS guys could not get it off. Anyhow, I need to cut it out (somehow) and replace it. I've never been that impressed with the PowerLink, and I have read that the Connex Link is easier to use, especially when grimy. Has anyone had experience with both to compare the two? Can I use a Connex Link on the PC-991 chain?
    Thanks
    I've used both and find them both just as easy to use as the other. And each fit "the other" chain as well.

Monte

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rokbottom47
    Apparently I bent my PowerLink on a brand new PC-991. Even the LBS guys could not get it off. Anyhow, I need to cut it out (somehow) and replace it. I've never been that impressed with the PowerLink, and I have read that the Connex Link is easier to use, especially when grimy. Has anyone had experience with both to compare the two?
    I've used both and I find the Wipperman link to be somewhat easier to remove than the SRAM link. The drawback of the Wipperman Connex link is that it needs to be oriented correctly to avoid chain skip on the smaller cassette cogs. It's not really that difficult to get it right, especially if you follow the directions included with the chain, but the first time I used one, I didn't pay attention to what I was doing and got it wrong.

Bike Junkie

I find Wipperman easier

I've always thought it more difficult with PC-59 chains that I've used vs. the Wipperman 9X1 that I use now.

But of course I have broken the "powerlink" for the Wipperman and never broken a SRAM.

It's how you have to squeeze the SRAM powerlink to get it off. Wipperman, I always forget which way the link goes as it's direction specific.
    See You On The Trails!

Space for rent...
    I've used both and would say they are equal.
    It's only pain......

Auto-x addict

+1 vote for Wipperman

I've always had an easier time getting the Wipperman off (needed a pair of pliers to get all three Powerlinks I've used off), and yet they stay on while riding. I've had Powerlinks come off on their own on rough descents twice, never with the Connex link.

I did put the Connex link on upside down once, and it drove me half crazy trying to figure out why it was skipping on the small cog.

Weird huh?

Cut it off?

Dude,
    Chain tool. Take out the offending link/s/ and just replace them with the leftover from when you sized the chain. If you don't have spare links, most bike shops can scratch up or sell you some.

For what it's worth, I've never kept those things on. PowerLink comes off the new chain first thing. I just connect them with a pin. I've a small compact chaintool on my all in one tool. It's really just as fast if you are practiced in using it. Best of all, no 'magic link' to come unconnected.

Cheers

Auto-x addict
    I find that my chains tend to be cleaner and last longer if they can come off the bike once in a while.