Dropshot Champ!

New question here. Quick Crank install question..

Maybe it's the paranoia of working with carbon cranks for the first time, but I didn't take note of how they looked before I took them off...

When installed, there seems to be a small gap between the non-driveside crank arm and the bottom bracket. When compared to a similar truvativ firex setup, there is no gap. On the Noir cranks, there is definitely a gap.

The cranks are on there pretty damn snug/tight.

Did I mess something up, or am I just being paranoid?

noirs

firex

Thanks mtbr

Never trust a fart
    Did you follow the instructions for the crank install? Or did you just slap it together?

Truvativ/Sram cranks require following the instructions to make sure that they are installed properly so there is no side to side play.

Read the directions and start over. And make sure to use a torque wrench. If you don't have one, get one. If you can't afford one, take it to your LBS and have them use one.

mtbr member
    You used the same amount of spacers when you put it back together...right. 1 spacer on the drive side for a 73mm shell.

Dropshot Champ!
    I didn't touch the bb, and didn't notice a crank spacer..

yeah followed the crank install. tq'd it with the GRRR lotta tq factor, no wrench. I'll get it tq'd down at the lbs tmrw.

rode it around, feels solid. Maybe I'm just freakin out for no reason. Gap seems weird tho. Any noir owners that can comment?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    there should be no axial play in the cranks. if there is then remove, regrease and re install.

Dropshot Champ!
    none.

rode downieville today, not one problem.

Guess the gap is normal