mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010

questions regarding my drivetrain :)

Hi, so i realize this is probably a nube question and i do apologize. But here goes. so i have a Kona Mahuna 29er and there is a few things id like to upgrade. Id like to upgrade the entire drive train really, right now it has sram x4 rear, and shimano Altus front derailleur and id like to upgrade everything to sram x7 or higher depending on price. But here is my question, Are parts interchangeable between 29ers and 26 bikes? i realize that yes most likely it is but how about the crank set ? can i simply pull off the old junk and put on the new gear?

mtbr member
    Yes, the part for a 29er and 26 are the same. The only things different are the wheels and tires of course, and also the front forks. Good luck, I just upgraded from x5 to x9.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    awesome good to know thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Shifters are a good place to spend any extra $ you might have. You get a much bigger improvement from buying a level up for these than you do for anything else.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Shifters are a good place to spend any extra $ you might have. You get a much bigger improvement from buying a level up for these than you do for anything else.
    what he said... upgrading the shifters will give you the most noticeable bang for the buck. the derailleur just does what the shifter tells it... high end derailleurs with cheapo shifters is going to shift worse than low end derailleurs with high end shifters... get yourself some X9 or even X0 shifters and leave the derailleurs till a trail snake takes one out,...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i went from x4 to x7 shifter and derailleur. instantly noticed the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jearl View Post
    Yes, the part for a 29er and 26 are the same. The only things different are the wheels and tires of course, and also the front forks. Good luck, I just upgraded from x5 to x9.
    Just remember that because the wheels are a different size, make sure that if you change cranks or cassette, that you get those witht the proper gear ratios for the larger wheels. it will make a big difference.
    Bikewagon - Hop on!

www.bikewagon.com