mtbr member
    Oct 2005

questions on the CN-7701 chain

I need to replace my chain and thought that would be a simple matter (NOT!). Granted I'm a newbie, but I don't quite understand the Shimano tech sheet on this chain. Sooo--a few questions for those of you in the know:
    1. Is the chain tool TL-CN31 something else I have to buy, or is it the same as my old Park chain tool?
    2. If it is a special tool, does it only work on the reinforced pin, or will it work on all the pins (I assume all, but who knows?)
    3. Apparently not all pins are the same. In addition to the reinforced pin, there are end pins and link pins. Do these alternate throughout the entire length of the chain, or is there only one end pin? The diagram seems to indicate that they alternate. How do you recognize which is which?
    4. So if you break a link while riding, is it removed using the two link pins? Doesn't that leave you with two end pins to put together? Shimano says not to mess with the end pins.
    5. Does the chain come with extra links and/or reinforced pins, or is this yet another thing I will have to buy?
    Thanks for helping the visually impaired. I just don't see it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rokbottom47
    I need to replace my chain and thought that would be a simple matter (NOT!). Granted I'm a newbie, but I don't quite understand the Shimano tech sheet on this chain. Sooo--a few questions for those of you in the know:
    1. Is the chain tool TL-CN31 something else I have to buy, or is it the same as my old Park chain tool?
    2. If it is a special tool, does it only work on the reinforced pin, or will it work on all the pins (I assume all, but who knows?)
    3. Apparently not all pins are the same. In addition to the reinforced pin, there are end pins and link pins. Do these alternate throughout the entire length of the chain, or is there only one end pin? The diagram seems to indicate that they alternate. How do you recognize which is which?
    4. So if you break a link while riding, is it removed using the two link pins? Doesn't that leave you with two end pins to put together? Shimano says not to mess with the end pins.
    5. Does the chain come with extra links and/or reinforced pins, or is this yet another thing I will have to buy?
    Thanks for helping the visually impaired. I just don't see it.

You can use just about any chain tool. The Park one you have should work just fine. When I got the a new 7701, it came with two extra pins. As for which pins to remove, you'll be able to tell when you take a close look at the chain.

Go ahead and get it. It's a great chain.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't reinforce enough how good these chains are. I finally killed one this weekend, but it still got me home and didn't break on me. The pivot bolt on my bike keeps comming out (see turner thread for many many people with the same problem), and this caused my chain to get caught in between the BB and the crankset, and while riding in some pretty aggressive terrain it twisted while it was caught in there. I got it free, used my tool to "twist" the chain back a few degrees so it would be fairly straight, and finished the ride, which included about 1300 vert descending and 1500' of climbing. I shortened the ride because of this, but the chain still got me back to the top and this experience just reinforces what I've experienced with this chain. The links DO NOT slide off the pins, like on other chains, they take a beating, and I've still never broken one (had it come apart).

Use any chain tool to install this chain and it's associated pin.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Chrome Toaster
    Your Park chaintool is perfectly fine. Shimano's instructions just reference their tools. The chain should have brought two of the connecting pins in the box. If it didn't you should take it back. Sometimes I get them without the pins because one of the dumbass mechanics at the shop takes them out of the new box to work on bikes instead of buying spare pins. I have to make sure they're there before walking out. Its pretty simply to do. Just completely remove the stock fixed pin were you want to shorten the chain. Join the two ends and slide in the smooth part of the special pin to hold it in place. Mount the chaintool and press in the pin until it the flat end is sticking out the same as the stock pins. Snap off the pin guide with some pliers. When the pin is mounted correctly the link should move smoothly and not feel stiff. If it doesn't want to move that means the plates haven't snapped in correctly onto the mounting pin grooves.