mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Questions - changing middle ring on Race Face Deus crankset

The middle ring on my Race Face Deus XC crankset needs replaced so got a new ring and took things apart and now I'm not sure about putting it back together correctly...

1) The middle ring has some raised rivets that stick out on both sides and I can't find any orientation of the middle on the large ring that at least one of them doesn't interfere with the rings sitting flat on top of each other (the big ring and middle ring share the same bolt holes for attaching to the crank spider).
    Is this normal? At first I thought the little pins/rivets were there to give the correct spacing between the two rings when screwed together, but only two of them make contact so if I tighten down the bolts holding the big ring and middle ring together, it seems like it will bend the middle ring. That doesn't seem right.
    Am I missing something here?

2) With all the fancy gating and shaping on the back of the middle ring, is there a specific orientation that it is supposed to me mounted on to optimize the shifting? Like is there a certain mark that is supposed to align with somewhere on the outer ring for smooth shifting?
    Again, I thought that maybe that's what the little pins/rivets were for, but I couldn't find any orientation that seemed to work better than the others.

Don't say just match up the new one the way the old one was - I would love to do that but I can't since the middle ring I am removing is a Truvativ ring that was put on there by the LBS when I broke the original a couple of years ago. The Truvatic ring does not have the rivets/pins that the Race Face ring has.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks for any help,

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    On the middle ring, I don't think it matters, but the obvious answer would be to have the lettering (assuming there is some) facing properly when the drive side crank arm is parallel to the bike pointing towards the front wheel.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    On the middle ring, I don't think it matters, but the obvious answer would be to have the lettering (assuming there is some) facing properly when the drive side crank arm is parallel to the bike pointing towards the front wheel.
    it matters!!

check for the stud recess on one side, that goes to the inside, most middle and small chain-ring have a protruding "marker", tab, on the inside of the them. This marker is to be situated behind the crank as well. This ensures correct orientation of the chainrings for optimum changing performance.

ring.jpg

so in the pic, the side facing us is the inside & the tab, bottom left goes behind the crank arm...

K

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    it matters!!

check for the stud recess on one side, that goes to the inside, most middle and small chain-ring have a protruding "marker", tab, on the inside of the them. This marker is to be situated behind the crank as well. This ensures correct orientation of the chainrings for optimum changing performance.

ring.jpg

so in the pic, the side facing us is the inside & the tab, bottom left goes behind the crank arm...

K
    thanks - I'm pretty sure I have the inside/outside part figured, it's the rotation that I'm not sure about - and the fact that it doesn't lay flat on the larger ring...

i'll have a look for a marker tab when I get home again today - I didn't see anything looking last nite but I'll look again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All the letters on each chain ring line up together, facing the opposite direction of the crank arm. Start off with lining up the large chainring with the chain-suck pin in line with the crank arm (letters should be facing opposite direction). Then make sure middle and small chainrings have the letters lined up in the same direction (44T, 32T, 22T).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks for all the suggestions - I got it together last nite no problem.

For the record (in case anyone else searches on this)

)The Race Face chainrings do indeed have an alignment tab on this inside perimeter - a little bump that is should be lined up with the crank arm. You can also just line up the etched printing that describes the number of teeth also - these should be next to each other across all the rings.

2) The interference of the rivet pins between the big ring and the middle ring was a red herring. They only interfered because I was placing the rings right on top of each other for comparison. When I actually put them on the spider, the large ring goes on one side of the spider and the middle ring on the other so the spider acts as a spacer and keeps the two rigns the correct distance apart (duh....)

So back together and all is good - thanks again for the help

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doctapow
    )The Race Face chainrings do indeed have an alignment tab on this inside perimeter - a little bump that is should be lined up with the crank arm. You can also just line up the etched printing that describes the number of teeth also - these should be next to each other across all the rings.
    Isn't that what I said?

That "bump" (pin) on the outside of the big chainring isn't an alignment indicator. It's actually there to prevent your chain from sucking in between the crank arm and chainring should your chain get pushed off the big ring.

Good you hear you got everything back together. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks
    Isn't that what I said?

That "bump" (pin) on the outside of the big chainring isn't an alignment indicator. It's actually there to prevent your chain from sucking in between the crank arm and chainring should your chain get pushed off the big ring.
    yes, that is what you said - and thanks.

The bump I was referring to is not on the face of the chainring but on the inside edge. You can see it in the picture that was posted earlier in this thread. It's not a pin, just an inward facing tab on the inside edge of the ring.

thanks again for all the help - ride on indeed.