mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Questions about installing a chainring guide

E13 STS going on an Iron horse(73mm?) with Truvativ cranks. I don't think I can fit the adapter inbetween by BB and frame. I was thinking about precisely measuring the thickness of the adapter and grinding that off the frame. Anyone done this?
    I think another solution would be a new BB but I'm not crazy about spending more money on top of the $100 I spent already just to keep the chain from falling off.

mtbr member
    Why doesn't the ISCG adapter fit? And how will grinding the frame help? I really don't see why there would be a problem. Maybe photos, and more information about the specific Iron Horse you have will help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is no spacer on the drive side right now. The BB tightens up to the frame. By putting the ISCG adapter in there it will not only move the cranks over toward the drive side but I think the inside of the non drive arm will rub on the BB. If I were to grind the drive side of the BB shell then the adapter would go in it's place and the BB would sit right where it does now.............I think.

mtbr member
    I think you've got something else going on there, the adapter is only a couple mm and if you're that close already then you've got to be flexing the crank into the frame every once in a while. You might want to check your BB/crank and make sure you're not too narrow.

No, that's not phonetic
    No, he's right. Truvativ GXP cranks and chainguides do NOT play nice most of the time. The GXP system is fundamentally different from other (shimano, etc) external bearing cranks systems. On 73mm bb shells there are no spacers to toss and replace with a sandwitched chainguide arm between the bb shell and drive side cup. The bb spindle is captured between a shoulder milled in it and the non drive side cup, so adding crap between the drive side cup and the bb shell will just serve to pull the crank into the drive side cup. No go. Even an iscg mounted guide probably wouldn't work as it would hit the granny ring bolts. You can try to mod it on there, but I don't think it will be easy. And I would most definitely NOT (repeat NOT) try to mill down your bb shell just to cheap out and run the guide you bought. Sell your cranks and get some XT's or Hones or something that will play nice with a guide.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What if I were to buy an 83mm BB and then I would just use a spacer on the non-drive side?

mtbr member
    That's a whole cm wider, you might wind up bowlegged.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke
    That's a whole cm wider, you might wind up bowlegged.

and you will not have enough of the cup threaded in the frame.

to the OP, this isn't the answer you hoped for, but the chain guide is not compatible with your BB. You need a BB that will work with an E-type FD.