mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Questions about cassette and chain replacement.

So it's time for a new cassette. My climbing gears are slipping bad when i torque up a hill (no shifting) i sit and spin fast but occasionally you have to crank it hard over a root or something, thats when it slips. I Keep my derailleurs tuned. Problem is, I replaced my chain about 300 miles ago. It was a brand new kmc x9. My chainrings are SLX rings and have been ridden all year without being replaced. It's 2x9 but switched to 1x9 a few months back so the granny hasnt had much use. I'm pretty broke with the hollidays and slow winter season at work (landscaping) so First and foremost i know the cassette needs replacing.

My question is, Do i really need to replace my chain with less than 300 miles?

Also, if my chainrings have no slipping problems, can they stay put for a bit before i replace them too? Ideally i would love to replace my whole drivetrain but its just not financially feasible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Buy a chain measurement tool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Buy a chain measurement tool.
    Probably the best thought i could have received. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You'll want to check the chain for wear to see if it is still usable.

Your cassette is definitely shot and needs to be replaced. The front ring ... assuming it is the same age ... probably needs to be replace also. A worn front ring will start to manifest itself by dropping chains in the rough (especially when in the largest cog in back). If it gets worse, the front ring will start to skip as well.