mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Question for SRAM Gripshift users

I just got a set of SRAM XO grip shifts. I used the SRAM grips that came with the set and gripping the handlebar now seems like a real chore.

Are you supposed to ride with your hands on the shifters? Partially on the shifters? I have Marta SL brakes and I can hardly reach the levers depending on where my hands are.

How long are the grips youre using with your shifters?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

grips

I have been using gripshift for years and really like it. I buy the grips I like (Salsa Chili Peppers) and then cut them down with some utility scissors in one cut. There probably 1 to 1.5 inches longer than the grips that come with the shifters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run Sram shorties and I cut the supplied grips to pretty much match the length of a standard grip with the shifter rubber grip section and cut grip combined. Perhaps just a tad longer. I do not have problems with false shifts with this.

I've seen half pipes installed with a same Sram grips and that makes you mount the brake levers too far inboard IMO. Looks kind of funky too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Much better

I went for a ride yesterday and instead of using the SRAM grips that came with the shifters, I used a set of ESI grips cut down to 80mm. This was much better. Looks like glenk does somethig very similar.

banned
    recently swapped to gripshift and I'm not going back to triggers.

Finding a good position was instantaneous. I just cut down some old Yeti grips.

mtbr member
    I have XO twisters and ride with my thumb and first finger loosly gripping the shifter grip. I've used Juicy and Formula disc brake levers and never had a problem finding a comfortble layout - but I DO think you'll need to position part of your hand on the shifter grip to make it all fit.

Adobo Lover
    XO with Juicy sevens. I use the grips that came with the shifters. I think they are 110mm. I use to run the Odi lock on grips that are 90 mm and felt they were too short even for my small hands. I don't like gripping the shifter if I don't have too. Not that it shifts inadvertently, I just feel the XO and grip are not has flush as my Attack(amy grips) with odi lockons on my hardtail. I don't have problems reaching my levers.
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    I'm riding X9 GS with Martas and yes, I find the brake levers a little short to ride completely off the shifter. I end up with my thumb/index finger wrapped around the notch between the shifter and grip when I need easy access to my brakes. The good news is I only need one finger on the brake.

I'm using Ergon grips - I got the regular (not GS) version and cut them down with a hacksaw - they are little longer than the GS version, which seems intended to use with your hand on the shifter all the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    I'm riding X9 GS with Martas and yes, I find the brake levers a little short to ride completely off the shifter. I end up with my thumb/index finger wrapped around the notch between the shifter and grip when I need easy access to my brakes. The good news is I only need one finger on the brake.

I'm using Ergon grips - I got the regular (not GS) version and cut them down with a hacksaw - they are little longer than the GS version, which seems intended to use with your hand on the shifter all the time.
    I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one not completely comfortable with these. It does feel a ton better after I cut the grips way down though. I'm going for another ride today so I'll see if it still feels good.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Yup yup. XO grip shifters w/Speed Dial Ti levers, cut down some foam grips so that the length of the shifter grip + foam grip is about the same length as a normal grip. It's much more comfortable that way for me, and it's easier to shift. No problems with accidentally shifting. I don't think I'll ever run another shifter.