mtbr member
    May 2006

Question: Shimano 2-way release shifters

Anyone using the new Shimano XT or other models with the 2-way release triggers? My question is how are the ergonomics for thumb only shifting? Is the back lever easily reached and pushed with the thumb?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    From what i've seen, it is. Heck, even normal XT and XTR shifters can be used by pulling the lever with the back of your thumb.

~~~
    Currently using the XTRs. They work well for me, and I have small hands. I was used to the older Shimano "index finger only" trigger release, but I find myself using both thumb and index finger depending on the situation. I really like the shimano 7-series stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GTV8
    Anyone using the new Shimano XT or other models with the 2-way release triggers? My question is how are the ergonomics for thumb only shifting? Is the back lever easily reached and pushed with the thumb?
    Yes, and I LOVE it. To release with a conventional shifter requires the movement of the finger from the natural riding/braking position. With the 2-way, you can maintain your grip at all times. It's AWESOME.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have both the 770 and 970 shifter and they both work great. In most situations I find myself using my thumbs to shift, but occasionally do still use my index finger.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    I also have both the XT770 and XTR970. Both work great, the reach for my fingers is perfect and the push/push option is preferred by me, and I almost never need to use my index to upshift anymore. I like this a whole lot better than the previous option.

mtbr member
    For me at least, the ergonomics on the XT 770s are off. They just don't feel right. The XTR 970s are great though.

...idios...
    XTR M970 here. Typically, the push option is good if I'm positioned towards the rear of the bike, whereas the pull option is ideal when I'm on my feet and at the front of the bike. Excellent design and the XTR is super-light and smooth on the shifts; highly recommended.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Expert Crasher
    770 here - push/push works well for me. Easy transition from SRAM X9 shifter. I prefer to keep my index finger on the brake lever so the push/push suits my style.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks everyone!! I just ordered a set of XT M770's on sale from Jenson for $90 and they also had the new SLX's for $99 with free shipping.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I just got a set of XT M770 shifters, they work great. I am way to used to standard rapidfire, so I still use my index finger. Have yet to use the thumb, as I don't keep my fingers wrapped on the brake levers anyway (unless descending, I shift more than brake).

knock-knock...
    i run the lx shifters, which have that too. it pretty much rocks. i was riding someone elses bike the other day, and smacking the back of the lever with my thumb thinking why wont this shift? then i realized im dumb.

no, but really the two way release is really handy