Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Question for Rohloff users....

910 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  VernDog 
#1 ·
I got my Rohloff last year , which has now around 500Km on it. Rohloff suggest a brake in period of 1000 Km ( What XTR lasted me !)

The hub is still pretty noisy in speeds 12-7-5 and I still feel a different shifting pattern between 3-4 ( and of course the usual 7-8 ) My question is : does that fade away with time? Like after 1000K + ? Should I get used to it ?

I'd like to hear from someone who has it for 5000K+......

#3 ·
I'll bite!

Have you changed your oil yet? I find that after the first oil rinse & change, there is a perceptible difference in the feel of the hub.

No, gears 3 & 5 will always be noisier than the others, due to the number of planataries engaged. No escaping it. A friend I was riding with last weekend just commented on this, asking "What's that?" and commenting that it sounded like as conventional hub freewheeling.

I must say though that this "noise" varies quite a bit between the three Speedhubs in our house, and I don't find it unordinarily loud. -- just louder than the other gears, which are actually quite quiet and smooth.

I am not familiar with the 3-4 gear change you describe, and of course the real "breaking in" of the 7-8 gear change is the operator becoming familiar with it -- that'll never go away completely, just get a little smoother as you get your time in on the hub.

#4 ·
Yes I already changed the oil.
On mine , speed #7 is the noisier.
Between 3-4th gear , It just feels less smooth , like if there is another set going between these two , (like 7-8th going by 14th)

Are your hubs smoother with time ?

#5 ·
speedhub noise

I've had mine since 2001, and after 4 plus seasons of racing/enduro riding, and yearly oil changes, mine is dead quite, except for when coasting, a little clicking of the ratchets inside, is about all I hear,

My newer hub (late 2003) isa little noiser but nothing to compared to a king or hadley by any means,

Just ride the hub, change the oil with a rinsing oil first when needed and enjoy problem free shifting,
Note, the dumping into 14 is better then "falling off the pedals" when trying to shift under load between gears 7 and 8
gears 5 thru 7 are(will) be the most audible as all the planerys are in mesh, well they never are out of contact with each other, it's just a matter which part of the gearset is "held" and which part is being "driven" and finally the output or "drive"

VernDogger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.