• 01-15-2013
    das028
    Question regarding drivetrain upgrade?
    I think its time to uprade part of my drivetrain. Currently im runing a 1x8 setup with all stock components. My bike uses SRAM X4 drivetrain components...Well the rear derailleur had been damaged, and after getting it repaired twice I figured I'd just get a new one and upgrade in the process.

I was gonna go with a 1x9 or 1x10 setup with either SRAM X7, X9, or X0 components. Not sure which untill I do a little more research.

My question is besides the rear derailleur, shifter, and 9 or 10 speed cassettes, are there any other components essential for the upgrade? Can I stay with my stock cables? I figured there is no need to uprade the rest of the drive train. Money is tight, and I'm currently saving for a new bike.

Thanks in advance guys
  • 01-15-2013
    wschruba
    You should replace cables, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. SRAM shifters come with cables. You may find that you want to replace housing, but again, not a huge problem, unless you are already having shifting issues.

Since you are running a 1x setup, I wouldn't worry about your front crank, but if you switch to 2-3x in front, you will need to replace the cranks or the rings. You'll need to grab a new chain matched to the rear, but again, don't go nuts (KMC makes an inexpensive option for either, that aside from weight, works well).