mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Question re chainrings

Hi All,
    My hardtail has become my every day commuter. Its a decent ride, but where I live is pretty flat and I never use granny or even middle ring. I have Stock Shimano XT cranks, I plan to change the rings/cassette to make it quicker. Can I just do away with the granny and middle ring altogether?

Im venturing dangerously close to single speed territory here, but considering I overtake more of them than overtake me every day I'm not willing to take the plunge

Thanks

local trails rider
    Sure you can.

You might need shorter chainring bolts, spacers, or a bashring, to be able to tighten the bolts. Chainline would be best, for the cassette, if you can put the big ring (a DH ring?) in the middle position.

How exactly do you plan to make it quicker? a 44 tooth chainring should take you up to about 30mph / 40 to 50 km/h if you can spin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well, I dont really know the science of cycling, I just pedal my arse off every single day and am always looking for extra gears. Im not saying im a good cyclist btw, just a 30 min ride to and from the office. I feel there's a couple of spots where I could really use some extra gearing to crank it up and shave a precious few seconds off my time. I do not go lower than the top two gears at any point. Also the weight reduction might help. (I know its a bit OCD but the ride to and from work is the best bit of my day)

ups and downs
    Time for a road bike with those big roadie chainrings? Or consider a set of XT Touring chainrings with the 48T big ring
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Since you're only using the smallest cogs with your larger chainring, you certainly won't miss the other two chainrings and might as well remove them.

You might also consider buying a larger chainring if available for your bolt pattern. This will cause you to use more of the mid cogs on your cassette spreading out wear and give you a higher top end for those tailwind days.

As Pertime said, the mid chainring position yields a better chainline for the entire cassette, but if your only riding the outer cogs it won't matter. Pick up a single speed bolt set for less than $10.00 and your set to go 1xX.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.