mtbr member

Question for grip shift users

I sometimes have problems breaking and shifting (SRAM Rocket shorty) at the same time. Is it my technique or is this normal?

mtbr member
    This is normal and is one reason that rapidfire style shifters are more popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by carl1266
    I sometimes have problems breaking and shifting (SRAM Rocket shorty) at the same time. Is it my technique or is this normal?

Dr Gadget is IN

What technique is that?

I normally hold the shorty shifter with thumb and pointer finger, brake lever has bad finger and ring finger. Little finger holds on tight. You can't brake and shift 3-4 gears at once - but ones&twos are okay.

Recently switched to halfpipe (by accident - thought I was ordering shorties) and found them to work a bit better: brake with pointer/bad fingers, shift with thumb/ring finger, cling with little finger.

On either system, unintended shifting only happens when I'm already thinking about shifting (preloaded to shift, but not yet...).
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester
    I normally hold the shorty shifter with thumb and pointer finger, brake lever has bad finger and ring finger. Little finger holds on tight. You can't brake and shift 3-4 gears at once - but ones&twos are okay.

Recently switched to halfpipe (by accident - thought I was ordering shorties) and found them to work a bit better: brake with pointer/bad fingers, shift with thumb/ring finger, cling with little finger.

On either system, unintended shifting only happens when I'm already thinking about shifting (preloaded to shift, but not yet...).
    Thanks. I'll try your technique.