mtbr member
    Aug 2004

question and answer but i need some verification

Hi.
    I just finished my last attempt to tune this damned deore lx front derailer.
    I have been trying to accomplish this almost impossible task for about one week.
    I have read all related posts and i have visited all FD tuning pages i could find.
    As i type now my hands are black and filled with lubricants and grease....
    (I will get another keyboard tommorow... )
    This derailleur just wont stay tuned and lately it wont shift reliably on the road except
    for the middle ring.
    The chain rings are not damaged, they are perfectly straight and not worn out.
    The chain is in perfect condition and the rear derailleur (Deore lx) is working like a dream.
    On the stand it shift well enough but not in real life.
    In my last attempt i tried lowering the cage as low as i could and it is now 0.7mm above the largest chainring and rotating the cage a little bit so the front side of the cage is moved a little bit to the outside thus bringing the back of the cage inwards a little.
    Basicaly i aimed for a cage that is paralel to the chainline and not the chainring at the
    troublesome gear combinations.
    Well now is working like a dream!!!!
    The low limit screw had to be screwed in a lot so the limit could moved outwards
    and the high limit screw had to be unscrewed a bit so the limit could be moved outward also.
    I have already ordered a XTR M960 front derailleur but i would be very glad if someone can explain to me what i actually did because i know that this piece of junk works very well now but i dont know why!

mtbr member
    May 2004

I always start...

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix
    Hi.
    I just finished my last attempt to tune this damned deore lx front derailer.
    I have been trying to accomplish this almost impossible task for about one week.
    I have read all related posts and i have visited all FD tuning pages i could find.
    As i type now my hands are black and filled with lubricants and grease....
    (I will get another keyboard tommorow... )
    This derailleur just wont stay tuned and lately it wont shift reliably on the road except
    for the middle ring.
    The chain rings are not damaged, they are perfectly straight and not worn out.
    The chain is in perfect condition and the rear derailleur (Deore lx) is working like a dream.
    On the stand it shift well enough but not in real life.
    In my last attempt i tried lowering the cage as low as i could and it is now 0.7mm above the largest chainring and rotating the cage a little bit so the front side of the cage is moved a little bit to the outside thus bringing the back of the cage inwards a little.
    Basicaly i aimed for a cage that is paralel to the chainline and not the chainring at the
    troublesome gear combinations.
    Well now is working like a dream!!!!
    The low limit screw had to be screwed in a lot so the limit could moved outwards
    and the high limit screw had to be unscrewed a bit so the limit could be moved outward also.
    I have already ordered a XTR M960 front derailleur but i would be very glad if someone can explain to me what i actually did because i know that this piece of junk works very well now but i dont know why!
    from ground zero. Shift to small chainring and big cog in back. Adjust limit screw until inside cage of f der cage just misses touching chain. Take up any slack in cable. If a lot of slack, loosen locknut on cable on der and pull it snug. If a little slack on cable, use barrel adjuster on bars. Also, make der parallel to rings. Should now shift perfectly with only adjustment on high limit screw necessary. ALWAYS, start from beginning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by browns110
    from ground zero. Shift to small chainring and big cog in back. Adjust limit screw until inside cage of f der cage just misses touching chain. Take up any slack in cable. If a lot of slack, loosen locknut on cable on der and pull it snug. If a little slack on cable, use barrel adjuster on bars. Also, make der parallel to rings. Should now shift perfectly with only adjustment on high limit screw necessary. ALWAYS, start from beginning.
    I have tried this method and some other i found in the Internet and nothing worked except this last time.
    The adjustment actions you specified are always a part of my tuning process.
    Despite following the normal procedures the FD would not change gear from the middle chainring reliably to either the large or the small chainring (under light tension).
    Not to mention that different adjustment was needed every time i was repeating the adjustment steps.
    Maybe the FD was damaged from the start as i bought this bike new and it wont respond to any normal adjustment.
    For sure i didnt crashed anywhere and i haven't treated hard the bike.
    The front derailleur is working like a dream now with no problems and the chain is not
    touching the cage at any combination, including the extreme ones.
    The actions that finally made it work was the FD turning in order for the cage to be parallel with the chainline and lowering the FD as much as i could so the big chainring barely avoids touching the FD.

I will try it like that for a while just to accumulate data and i will post the results.
    Last edited by hendrix; 09-04-2004 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just finished trying the new FD setup and it works like never did before.
    It changes gears silky smooth and very fast.
    Indexing is working great with no need for pushing the lever beyond the click stop.
    I tried changing gears in a ~10% hill and it changed from the middle to the small
    very fast (1/4 of a turn).
    Shifting from the middle to the large chainring worked flawlessly every time.
    I will leave it like that since this FD has never worked better that this even when i bought this bike.
    I think that maybe the FD was damaged (bent cage maybe but i have nothing to compare it ) from the start and this turning clockwise (looking from above) and lowering the FD made it work like it was supposed to.
    In any case i wouldn't reccomend this FD to anyone.
    It is a waste of money as the manufacturing tolerances vary greatly and the materials used look like they came from a scrap yard.
    It might work for now but i dont know when it will start behaving erraticaly again.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here are some photos of the succesfull (so far...) FD adjustment.
    Note that i also use the N gear chain stop anti deraillment device so it is easier for me to adjust the downshifts.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images