mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Question about Time XE ATAC pedals

I bought a pair of these pedals for my cyclocross bike that is used mainly for road, gravel road, and light trail riding and am sometimes having problems releasing from them (especially the right pedal). I was a long time user of the older model ATAC aliums on my GF hardtail and after getting hung up and breaking my ankle (and I had the Speedgoat shaved cleat at the time) I shaved off some more material and had no more problems.

I have the cleats on the new pedals mounted for the 12 degree release and my question is: should I wait to see if the cleats wear in or should I shave these, too? I do like the positive click-in they give when clipping in. When reading through the many reviews for the old and new Times there seem to be a certain percentage of riders that have problems releasing from them.

Just for some background information, I've also used SPDs and the original Eggbeaters (no cage). I got along OK with the SPDs except for mud clearance. I had problems clipping into the Eggbeaters and they wore a groove in the bottom of my shoes plus gave me a hot spot on the sole of my foot. They were also less durable than all my other pedals, although to their credit CB did send me a rebuild kit.

Smokey

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    clip your shoes in to the pedals and look at the bottom, you may need to trim some rubber around the cleats

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Actually my shoes have already been trimmed a lot

Tread clearance is not the issue. I think the pedals are still new and stiff. If I keep having problems I'll do some judicious trimming of the cleats.

Smokey