mtbr member

Question about ISIS crankarms

I was wondering if the size of bottom bracket makes a difference? I've got a Giant DH comp that had BOTH pedals cross threaded!! I now no longer trust the threading. the Giant has a 100mm BB shell, does that affect the crankarms in any way? or would any ISIS arms work?

EDIT: Also curious if I could use a 10sp front D. and make it a dual ring up front? my thinking is that the 10sp FD would ( in theory) swing a little farther than a regular one, allowing for the wider chainline? stupid idea?
    Last edited by the_Alaskan; 03-09-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: second question
    I'd be unstoppable... If I could just get started !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    when u say 10 spd fd do you mean a road fd? the cable pull of road and mtb fds are different. most isis arms are 113 spindle for 47.5 chainline and 118 for 50mm. what cranks are you running?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Alaskan
    I was wondering if the size of bottom bracket makes a difference? I've got a Giant DH comp that had BOTH pedals cross threaded!! I now no longer trust the threading. the Giant has a 100mm BB shell, does that affect the crankarms in any way? or would any ISIS arms work?

EDIT: Also curious if I could use a 10sp front D. and make it a dual ring up front? my thinking is that the 10sp FD would ( in theory) swing a little farther than a regular one, allowing for the wider chainline? stupid idea?
    A frame with a 100mm wide BB shell needs a different BB (with a longer spindle) than a frame with a 68 or 73mm BB shell.

Your frame also needs a FD designed for the wider shell and more outboard chainline. 10sp FDs do not have any more range than an 8/9sp FD. 10-sp cassettes are exactly the same overall width as 8/9-sp cassettes. The cogs are just closer together.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    @reptilezs
    the crankset is O.E. it's Race Face North Shore ISIS

@shiggy
    I guess I wasn't too clear with my question. What I was asking about was the crankarms themselves, the BB is just fine. I was wanting to replace just the arms (right and left) and was wondering if there is anything to watch for- due to the BB shell being 100mm. Does a 10mm shell require special arms, or will any ISIS arms work?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Alaskan
    @reptilezs
    the crankset is O.E. it's Race Face North Shore ISIS

@shiggy
    I guess I wasn't too clear with my question. What I was asking about was the crankarms themselves, the BB is just fine. I was wanting to replace just the arms (right and left) and was wondering if there is anything to watch for- due to the BB shell being 100mm. Does a 10mm shell require special arms, or will any ISIS arms work?
    ISIS is ISIS.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    thanks

BTW, I was wondering, are there ANY FD's that would work with the chianline of the Giant? I think it's something like 66mm or something like that