MTBiker
    Oct 2006

Question about installing a bottom bracket

I have an internal bearing bottom bracket for my VP Free. The BB threads all appear fine, and this condition may be normal.

First I screwed in the non-drive side of the BB (containing the shaft and bearings) and it went perfectly smoothly. The threads were coated in anti-sieze and the rest of it covered in lubricant.

I proceeded to install the other side of the BB, a retaining cup and thoroughly lubed the inside of it. It threaded in a good 3/8" smoothly, then it became stiff. Not too stiff because it still went in smoothly, it just took more effort for the remainder of the installation.

I ended up having to take it off because of a chainguide issue, so I looked at it closely. The grease was cleaned off the inside of the cup about halfway down it up to about 3/8" from the end.

This might be normal. I'm assuming the BB cup is simply sliding around the other half to create a very close fit, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the ressistance may be that one of the threads was not perfect... but the grease moving (cleaned off) is perfectly normal...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Perfectly normal....

for the first 1/4 or so of the installation depth of the non drive side cup, the cup is free to move. For the next 3/4 of the install length it starts to make contact with the non drive side of the BB. It's a friction or press fit as the cup is threaded in, so you should start to feel a little extra resistance. It's normal for the majority of the grease to get wiped off as the fit between the cup and the bb body is quite tight. It has to be to support the non drive side of the bottom bracket. As you've discovered, you don't need to use allot of grease on the inside of the cup. A nice thin coating will do. So don't sweat it, what you are experiencing is normal.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"