Thread: Question

mtbr member
    May 2007

Question

Hey sorry if this is a dumb question, i haven't been riding long. well, most times when i land a jump or jolt my bike really hard the chain will slip off of the front gear and into the smaller one or completey off. I have a 3 ring front gear and i only use the middle gear. I'd like to be able to get a single speed crank and still run a 8-speed cassette. I've seen this setup on a few bikes and would like to use this on my bike. I hate the front derailer, it's looks like such a rinky dink part that doesn't do much, i'd love to yank it off my bike with the shifter and put on just a single brake lever.

1. what parts do i need to replace. Can i just buy a new chain ring or do i need to buy a completey new crankset.

2. will my front chain still fall out of gear. if so what can i do to stop it.

3. where are the best places to find these parts. what are the best brands and which ones suck

4. do i need a bashgaurd. my large ring hits logs sometimes on trails and has a few teeth knocked off.

I have a scott voltage. It has a Shimano FC-TX-70 42x34x24T crankset. It has a four bolt chain ring.

Thanks for the help

neutiquam erro
    Check out this 1x9 thread. It has all sorts of ideas for setting up a 1x9 (or 1x8).

You shouldn't need to replace your crankset, but you will need some sort of chain guide plan. That can literally be a chainguide (like e13 or Blackspire or others offer) used with your remaining middle ring, or you can do a bashie in place of your big ring, and either a Jumpstop or inner plate in place of your granny - these will "sandwich" the chain in place on your middle ring. Lots and lots and lots of options out there....

Search the normal online retailers for products you see mentioned in that thread. They are not hard to find. Your LBS should be able to order them too.

Bashguard is not at all required, but seems like an obvious choice to most people who run a 1x9(8). If no bashie, you'll still need some chainguide plan, like I said earlier.

Your chain will NOT fall off if it a.) you have an adequate chainguide setup, and b.) it's the proper length. One of the last posts in that thread link is yet another post I reference concerning chain length considerations for 1x9s (a great suggestion from Speedub.Nate).

Yep, toss that front derailleur and be happy - I love my 1x9!

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    UPDATE

I just checked out my bike to see what the best way to do the conversion and guess what, my chain rings are warped. i spun the crank and they wobbled. they are warped pretty bad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Me again. i am looking at buying an E-13 chain guide system. I was looking at it and thought, how in the world do you get this thing mounted onto a frame. the E-13 guides use an ISCG mounting system. What it is and how will i know if my frame will accept it

...idios...
    Check the Guide Picker on e13's website. There's a link also on that page to the Fit charts to advise which guides will and won't fit which frames. Don't be despondent if the fit charts say 'no', I'm not supposed to be able to use the (excellent) LG1 on my 07 BigHit, but I modified the lower idler so that it the whole device would fit under the lowered chainstay.
    e13 Security guides all come with an ISCG adaptor, so your frame does not have to have one built into the frame.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks. My bike doesn't have a ISGC on it so i'll need an adapter. The site was very nice and helpful. My bike is a HT and the fit charts say that any guide will fit on any HT, am i right.

...idios...
    Yes, as the guys at e13 say, their guides will fill any hardtail. I've used the SRS before the LG1 and have always been impressed with the quaility and build of e13 components.

Although sites like MTBR are a fantastic resource and information exchange, I usually find that the first stop with specific questions about a product should be the manufacturer's website. MTB riders are fortunate that many component companies are/were set up by people who ride, so their online info tends to be very good. e13 is an excellent example.

Good dirt,
    Steve