mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Query about XTR m980 2x10 trail crankset

Hello guys!first off,i have a 2011 xt groupset with a 3x10 xt crankset turned into 2x10 with a bashguard on my 2012 5 spot. I am planning to upgrade my crank to XTR m980 2x10 trail crankset. Question is, would i need to change any components (shifters,rd,fd?)in order for the new crank to perform well?or is it a plug and play thing?thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    You'll be fine just plugging in the crankset.
    There's a 2/3 ring mode converter switch on the new front shifters, but I'm 98.89% sure that only disables the last click.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks!but my mechanic have already disabled the last click when i removed my biggest ring and slapped a bashguard on my 3x10 xt.

Ow!
    So you are going from a triple (3x10) crankset (you could have 3 rings, but currently have 2 rings and a bash) to a double (2x10) crankset (can only have 2 rings)? If so, I think you will need a double (2x10) front derailleur and set your current front shifter (XT M780?) to 2x.

I bet your mechanic just used the limit screws on your current 3x10 FD to keep your chain from shifting to the big ring (which is now a bash). I have this same setup on most of my bikes ( 2 rings + bash), but this is still a triple setup that has been adjusted for just using 2 rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Correct?so do i still need to change my front
    Shifters if i get a 2x10 specific?or just the front derailler?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Correct?so do i still need to change my front
    Shifters if i get a 2x10 specific?or just the front derailler?
    The 980 is still just a 104/64 triple without the outer ring. Your current FD and shifter should work fine. I would try it before replacing anything.

Actually I would not bother changing the cranks in the first place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ow!
    Well, if someone has tried it and it works, no need to buy more components. I was basing my info on Shimano tech docs.

If you have 780 or 980 shifters, you shouldn't need to buy new shifters. Either should have the switch between 2x and 3x.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    Well, if someone has tried it and it works, no need to buy more components. I was basing my info on Shimano tech docs.

If you have 780 or 980 shifters, you shouldn't need to buy new shifters. Either should have the switch between 2x and 3x.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.
    And you do not need a shifter with a "switch". The FD limit screws are what matter, as long as you setup the shifter using the correct two clicks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ow!
    LGavin, Did you install your new crankset? If so, what did you have to do to make it all work?