mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Quality cables, what to use?

Looking at the XTR flourine coated shift cable set, worth it? How about the XTR brake cable set? Anything else I should be considering?

I Have Cookies
    Not worth it.... Been there done that! Good old jagwire housings and good quality ss cables is all you need!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Not worth it.... Been there done that! Good old jagwire housings and good quality ss cables is all you need!
    I totally agree. Coated cables only feel nice for a little while. The key is making sure to cut the cable housings squarely and use an awl to make sure the openings are done properly. SS cables with a little bit of Prolink lube are what I like best.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

Underskilled
    spending a lot on steel cables isn't worth it.

powercordz make a great product, cables are made from kevlar type stuff and are low friction coated.

Smoother snappier gear shifts and never stretches so no need to ever readjust gears once set up.

The cables do cost $30, you are paying for a luxury of smoother more consistent shifting.

P

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guy2600
    Looking at the XTR flourine coated shift cable set, worth it? How about the XTR brake cable set? Anything else I should be considering?

Yup XTR cable set with the rubber boots well worth it improves shifting, will not set-up, never freezes....

mtbr member
    DAMNIT MAN! Cave Giant beat me to it!
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    spending a lot on steel cables isn't worth it.

powercordz make a great product, cables are made from kevlar type stuff and are low friction coated.

Smoother snappier gear shifts and never stretches so no need to ever readjust gears once set up.

The cables do cost $30, you are paying for a luxury of smoother more consistent shifting.

P
    Spending a lot on steel cables? Steel cables are the cheapest option - less than $5 each!
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    what do you guys think about closed housing vs. open housing? I ride in an often wet and muddy environment, should I be using closed cable housing?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    what do you guys think about closed housing vs. open housing? I ride in an often wet and muddy environment, should I be using closed cable housing?

Full length housings for sloppy conditions , use good low compression housing and quality steel cables .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'd only be looking for shifter cables, brakes are hydraulic. Anything you can recommend directly with a link that doesn't break the bank?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd only be looking for shifter cables, brakes are hydraulic. Anything you can recommend directly with a link that doesn't break the bank?
    Go over to pricepoint.com & get you a 25ft roll of Alligator STSP shifter cable housing for 19.95 & some uncoated stainless steel shifter cables. Not sure if pricepoint sells the ferrules though. You can always pick up a few at the local bike shop. Enough housing to run full length if you like & have some for the future.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

I Have Cookies
    +1 just make sure you get the right width don't buy the thicker stuff like I did..... looks cheap still works good though!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like pricepoint has the ferrules too. Just give them a call to confirm the correct size! You're good to go!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld