mtbr member

Qualitative differences in stainless derailleur cable?

I once again need to stock up on derailleur cable. I prefer stainless. Below are three options that I'm thinking about. Pricing varies quite a bit. Are there any quantifiable differences between these different brands? Jagwire makes a point to mention that their cables are "die extruded" and "pre-stretched". Are not all cables die extruded? What about that pre-stretching business?

1) Jagwire Slick Stainless, $6.00/each. This has been my go-to cable for a few years now.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...leur+Wire.aspx

2) Sram Pitstop Stainless, $3.95/each. Has the advantage of being cheaper while still being a name brand. No mention of die-drawn or pre-stretching.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...eur+Cable.aspx

3) Alligator Slick Stainless, $2.98/each. Cheapest option. Non-branded. Does have that word "slick" in the name.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/158...less-Cable.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've always had good experience with shimano stainless steel, but also with SRAM and Jagwire.

Anyways for cables and housings I believe in the motto "buy cheap, replace often".

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    The housing and how it is installed is more important than the actual cable. You are fine with the less expensive cable if everything is set up right.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I once again need to stock up on derailleur cable. I prefer stainless. Below are three options that I'm thinking about. Pricing varies quite a bit. Are there any quantifiable differences between these different brands? Jagwire makes a point to mention that their cables are "die extruded" and "pre-stretched". Are not all cables die extruded? What about that pre-stretching business?

1) Jagwire Slick Stainless, $6.00/each. This has been my go-to cable for a few years now.

2) Sram Pitstop Stainless, $3.95/each. Has the advantage of being cheaper while still being a name brand. No mention of die-drawn or pre-stretching.

3) Alligator Slick Stainless, $2.98/each. Cheapest option. Non-branded. Does have that word "slick" in the name.

Stock up...geez I get at least two winters and one or two summers on one set of XTR calbes and housings.

It's about showing up.
    I go to the LBS and ask for some cables and housings. I put them on, cutting the housings to length and trimming the ends neatly.

They work fine. Always have.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 07-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I go to the LBS and ask for some cables and housings. I put them on, cutting the housings to length and trimming the ends neatly.

They work fine. Alway have.
    That's what I've usually done, but between housing costing up to 80% less online and local shops only being open while I'm at work I'm really starting to see the advantage of keep housing and cables on hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Stock up...geez I get at least two winters and one or two summers on one set of XTR calbes and housings.
    Since housing and cables don't just suddenly go bad after months or years of perfect riding but slowly wears out and slowly starts causing little symptons, I'd rather preemptively change it all out once a year or so on my terms. That's just my preference though, because with preemptive maintenance like that you never really now how much further you could have gone and how wasteful it was

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    LOL! It's more that I like wrenching almost as much as I like riding. I always seem to have some project or another going on. Today I just finished Number 4 in a string of five, big-box-bike rebuilds. My son had a friend, who had a friend, and they both had sisters, etc.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I buy the bulk priced (5 or 10 cables) teflon coated cables from Pricepoint. They use to offer Jagwire, now it is Alligator. They work the same.

At 10 the price drops to ~$3.50 each.
    The stainless are ~$1.80 each @ 10 units.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought some cheaper teflon lined cables from Performance before. Seems like the stuff just strips off at the housing caps, but it did say they should be run with "nosed" housings. Personally I've found no difference between stainless, teflon, or galvanized. I agree that the important factor is housings. Also, I spray a bit of teflon down the housing before I slide a cable in. That probably helps.

Another factor for me: I'm always tinkering so I don't use cable crimps since they're all one time use. For galvanized cable I can solder the ends, and for stainless I have to glue. A little glue goes a long way though, and either way it comes out with a clean look that allows the cable to be removed or reinstalled easily.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    That's what I've usually done, but between housing costing up to 80% less online and local shops only being open while I'm at work I'm really starting to see the advantage of keep housing and cables on hand.

Sure, I get that.

My point was, though, that I have no problem with your basic generic cables and housings.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I might try some of the cheap stuff from Pricepoint. I don't really like double-end cables, but those Huffy rebuilds are too expensive the way I've been doing them.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks everyone. I might try some of the cheap stuff from Pricepoint. I don't really like double-end cables, but those Huffy rebuilds are too expensive the way I've been doing them.
    There is nothing at all wrong with double ended cables (most are). Better in fact, as you always have the right one for the lever on the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common