mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Purple Extreme Lube

I got a little bottle of Purple Extreme lube in the sack of registration goodies at a race recently. I just cleaned everything and applied it, and I'm going to go ride now. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has been using this stuff for any length of time and what they think about it. It has to be better than the Finish Line lube I used most recently.

jl
    climb
    Is this RockNRoll (Blue). This is all I ever use, I swear by it ...

~~~

I'm interested, too

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    I got a little bottle of Purple Extreme lube in the sack of registration goodies at a race recently. I just cleaned everything and applied it, and I'm going to go ride now. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has been using this stuff for any length of time and what they think about it. It has to be better than the Finish Line lube I used most recently.
    Got a little sample bottle at their booth at Sea Otter. The dude recommended cleaning the chain really, really well first. Their claim is that this stuff just lasts a really long time.

Since I'm lazy, I haven't tried it yet, b/c I didn't want to clean my chain. Still in love with RockNRoll Extreme. It'd be great if you could post an update when you get some rides in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll Update

I did a 35 mile road ride after applying the stuff. That posed no problems. I'll drop a line after some more mileage and let you know how it does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

purple extreme interest

I just came across purple extreme for sale at bikeusa.com (mud sweat and gears). The price was 11.00 for a 4oz bottle. I have never dealt with them before.I called Royal Purples info number and was told that Purple Extreme is the same product as Royal purple Max Chain. It is good to see a distributor bring the product to the bicycle market.I think Royal Purple concentrates on the indusrial market more than consumer. On their web site they also make a bearing grease,but they don't mention it under auto/cycle , only under indusrial. I think I will give the purple extreme lube a try. This product will be hard to find. I was told that some motorcycle shops carry Max Chain.

MTB B'dos
    Just got a 4oz sample bottle from a friend who went away to do a Iron Man triathlon and am going to give it a try. SteveUK sems to swear by it and I just got back from a very wet, sandy, muddy ride last night so the chain needed a good washing so I just added my serious cleaning method to get off what was left of the WL original lube and will see how it goes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

members only
    I've tried a lot of lubes, and so far I like Purple Extreme the best (for Off-Road).

If only my Local Bike Shop carried it...
    I ride solo 98% of the time

...idios...
    I started using Purple Extreme about 3-4 months ago. I clean my chain with white/mineral sprits, then Muc-Off, then rinse with hot water, repeat blow the water out and leave to dry on a radiator. I hang my chain from a hook in my workshop and drip the Purple Extreme link-by-link from the top, inverting it when I get to the bottom. The PE is only slightly more viscous than water, mainly due to its solvents, so it sinks into the links/bearings very easily. The instructions suggest that the best results are achieved from leaving the chain to dry overnight before riding. I actually run two chains, which I alternate, so I usually have the chain hanging around for 10-14 days (ap.200miles). I'll usually wait a couple of days before I wipe off any excess which hasn't dried. As with any lube, removing the excess after application plays a major part in its effectiveness.
    We didn't get a great deal of rain over the summer months and the PE performed excellently throughout. The last week has seen a couple of commutes in serious downpours and the PE shows no signs of deterioration, unlike the wet and dry Finish Line, Pedro's and SMAX products I'd used previously. All of these products required a fresh application after very wet road rides.
    The bottle claims that PE will be good in all conditions for around 200 miles and my first impressions are that this is a reasonable estimate. Of course, it has yet to be tested over a miserable, wet, slushy British winter, but I've seen nothing to suggest that it won't come through it.
    Here's a link to Purple's products in the UK; I haven't tried their Golden degreaser.
    I'll wait until we've had our slushy snow before I give a solid recommendation to Purple Extreme, but up to now it has seriously outperformed anything I've tried before.
    Peace,
    Steve
    Last edited by SteveUK; 11-01-2006 at 03:02 PM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Seems pretty good

I also picked up a small sample of PurpleExtreme at Sea Otter years back, never used it till I ran out of RocknRollGold other day. So far it beats ProLink, Pedro's Dry, and RocknRoll for longevity. It appears to be pretty good at keeping the chain relatively clean- no worse at attracting dust than the others. I'm cautiously impressed.

Agree, not sold by the large online retailers and only in 4oz bottles.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I have used it for over a year. I find that it's fantastic in dry conditions. Keeps the chain clean and silent. Better than dry lubes that start squeaking after a few days.

I have found that it suffers in muddy and wet conditions, but this is par for the course in my experience. On wet days I run something heavy like Phil Wood or the regular DuMonde Tech blue lube.

JMH

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    What's everyone think of RocknRoll Extreme? I've used Gold and find it good for about 2 rides then it starts to dry up quickly.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    I bought some earlier this summer, and I think it's ok, but I probably won't buy more due to the high price. It's not noticably any better than the ProLink Gold I used before, and can get for less $$. In fact, my road bike drivetrain is noisier with the PE than either Prolink or Pedros Road Rage.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

KuskoRiverCruiser

Purple Extreme in the extreme cold??

anyone have any experience with below 0dF temps?

martin
    Martin
    [SIZE=1]"The pursuit of truth and adventure is far more noble a task than looking for work", [/SIZE]
    http://fatbikealaska.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    If only my Local Bike Shop carried it...
    we, the mechanics at the shop i work at, threw out a whole box of those PE lube samples....none of us like the stuff for this area or our bikes, and if we won't use it, we won't recommend it.