Thread: Pulleys for Zee

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Pulleys for Zee

This weekend I was caught in a downpour while riding. We don't often have mud in New Mexico, but when we do its pretty sticky due to high clay content. Because of the short stays and tight tire clearance on my Canfield YS, the mud was getting scraped off my tires by the chainstays, and building up behind the seat tube, this caused a lot of it to get sucked into my drive train, and finally caused the lower pulley on my ZEE derailleur to seize, the chain then pulled it up and broke the hanger. I tried to clean it up as best I could, replaced the hanger, and set out again. Made it about 100 yards, and broke my second, and last hanger. I broke the chain and tried to set it up single speed, but my master link only linked on one end, because of the mud built up on the chain. I finally gave up, threw the chain in my pack and coasted/walked back to the parking lot. Fortunately it was mostly downhill.
    I've got new hangers on the way, cleaned up my bike and derailleur and everything seems ready to go back together.
    I'm thinking of buying a set of XT Pulleys with sealed bearings to replace the bushing pulleys on my zee.
    My question is: Would sealed bearing pulleys have helped avoid this? If not this pulley set, any suggestions of others to try?

Plays with tools
    I'm guessing that your lower pulley seized because it was jammed up with mud, not that the bushing failed. If that's the case it really doesn't matter what kind of pulley you're running, it's going to seize.

Riding in conditions like that is a major crap shoot. That kind of mud is the perfect consistency for destroying drivetrains.