Thread: Pull my Crank

You won't take me alive

Pull my Crank

OK so I need a little help here. I am parting out my bike and need some assistance with the cranks. I have never done them before...I have a crank puller...guys any tips...also how do you get the pesky headsets off.....
    Melissa
    oh yeah I am going to a new nine speed set up...should I go with my trusty xtr or take the step up to sram?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Here's the link to the Park Tool website. You'll need to know what type of cranks are installed.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byreg...ageField2.y=14

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah, what crankset and design? square taper vs ISIS vs external BB vs other? i'm figuring it's an ISIS (or shimano octalink).

XTR is still considered by most as the best of the best out there. how old is your setup? and are you unhappy with it?

switching to SRAM may not be a big upgrade, if at all, subject to what series you're after. X.0 is very, very nice, but expensive (then again, so too is XTR).

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

You won't take me alive

thanks...

I got most of the crank out the bb seems like it will live out eternity in my old frame...I got one sid off, but the other seems totally frozen...as far as drivetrains go...my old xtr treated me well this crank stood up to the rocky northeast...I want to upgrade/newer components but things seem to have gotten super complicated since my last build..the new xtr cranks have horrble reviews...and there doesn't seem to be a 'superior' crank out there...sram seems like a good drivetrain company but do you go with the x9 or the x0???? I ride xc but like I said it is wicked rocky whereI ride any suggestions???? Someone reccomended FSA cranks any riders out there???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seachicken11
    I got most of the crank out the bb seems like it will live out eternity in my old frame...I got one sid off, but the other seems totally frozen...as far as drivetrains go...my old xtr treated me well this crank stood up to the rocky northeast...I want to upgrade/newer components but things seem to have gotten super complicated since my last build..the new xtr cranks have horrble reviews...and there doesn't seem to be a 'superior' crank out there...sram seems like a good drivetrain company but do you go with the x9 or the x0???? I ride xc but like I said it is wicked rocky whereI ride any suggestions???? Someone reccomended FSA cranks any riders out there???
    I used FSA Afterburner for the last 4 years and I was happy, crankset was stiff and hold up to abuse (BB was so-so but that is the problem of ISIS). For my new bike I decided to go w/ new XT because I get get it really cheap so I don't really care for the shitty chain rings. But Santa gave me a new FSA K-Force, they look really nice and are really stiff - my dad who's about 110kg rides them w/o problem. Only downside is that my particular piece was delaminated near the pedal thread, but it was warrantied by FSA so no problem - they really stand behind their products.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seachicken11
    I got most of the crank out the bb seems like it will live out eternity in my old frame.
    if you're going to keep the frame but change brand cranksets, you'll definitely need to remove the old BB cos they won't be compatible. maybe a visit to your LBS if you're having trouble, particularly if you don't have all the necessary tools to remove it.

I got one sid off, but the other seems totally frozen.
    the crankpuller should overcome this without probs unless it's really, really seized up. it also highlights that installation of the new parts warrants use of anti-seize grease.

as far as drivetrains go...my old xtr treated me well this crank stood up to the rocky northeast...I want to upgrade/newer components but things seem to have gotten super complicated since my last build..the new xtr cranks have horrble reviews...and there doesn't seem to be a 'superior' crank out there...sram seems like a good drivetrain company but do you go with the x9 or the x0???? I ride xc but like I said it is wicked rocky whereI ride any suggestions???? Someone reccomended FSA cranks any riders out there???
    all the latest cranks have moved onto the external BB design, and seems to work fine from all reports. there's heaps of choice out there, but shimano XT seems like a favourite amongst enthusiasts who don't want to spend a fortune but what quality.

i personally use FSA, and have an alloy V-Drive model on my HT (w/MegaExo external BB). top value, stiff enough, and no probs so far. on my FS i have the carbon FSA K-Force w/MegaExo which i managed to buy cheaply; if it's going to cost near-retail, it's not very good value, but it's certainly stiff, lightweight, and looks bling. the 'Afterburner' model sits inbetween these and is another nice, good value crankset. i really like FSA cranksets, so can recommend them.

SRAM shifters and derailleurs are a top alternative to shimano. the shifting is very crisp and low maintenance. i run X.9 on the HT and X.0 on the FS. both are great; the X.0 adds improved build quality/strength (forged alloy vs cast alloy), bling, and the trigger shifters are much better for snappy shifting (largely due to zero-slack shifting (ie: no cable slack)). X.9 remains much better value, with X.0, like most top-end stuff, being silly-expensive (although ebay is good ).

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

You won't take me alive
    Thanks for all of the input..I am still having a tough time deciding on my new crankset..I have narrowed it down to the k force (if I can pick one up cheap), FSA team issue, otrthe XT...I had a set of XTR"S on my old bike and they lasted but the reviews for the newer ones don't look that great...unfortunately I just bought a Blur and I have to go with a Shimano front derailleur (top pull, top swing thing), I will go SRAM on the shifters and rear derailleur (I think I will spring for the X0) and it seems like the shimano cassette is rated better than the SRAMs...thanks so much for everyone's input....