mtbr member

ProLink Gold vs Rock n Roll Extreme for wet weather?

Anyone tried both of these lubes in wet, slightly muddy conditions? I live in australia, we have some wet weather at the moment, but not loads and loads of mud. I dont think 'dry' lubes will live up to the requirements, I have been using the Prolink, but am wondering how the blue bottle Rock n Roll extreme will go in the wet??

Thanks

Keepin' it real since '74
    Those are actually the only 2 chain lubes I use. If I know the ride is going to be mostly dry, I use ProLink. If I know that mud will be a given, I go with the Rock N Roll Extreme. It's the best wet weather lube I've ever used, but it's damn messy putting it on.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Anyone tried both of these lubes in wet, slightly muddy conditions? I live in australia, we have some wet weather at the moment, but not loads and loads of mud. I dont think 'dry' lubes will live up to the requirements, I have been using the Prolink, but am wondering how the blue bottle Rock n Roll extreme will go in the wet??

Thanks
    I've been using ProLink for a few months and I'm less than impressed with it. Seems to work horribly in my neck of the woods. Useless in mud, and gritty as hell when trails are dry. It's only redeeming quality seems to be that it's relatively self-cleaning when you reapply and wipe before each ride.

For wet/muddy rides, I go with the ol' standby - Pedro's MTB syn lube (or whatever they're calling it these days).
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Reviewer/Tester
    I use the R & R lube exclusively. It just works so well for me in all conditions that I have never felt the need for any other lube since I started using it. My chain always looks shiney and clean.

I usually remove the chain from the bike, fit my second chain which I keep pre-lubed with the R & R, then wash the first chain in thinners to remove all traces of the old batch of lubricant.

I dry it off thoroughly, then dump the cleaned chain in the R & R, shake it around, remove it and wipe the excess off. It then goes into a sealable plastic bag which goes into my camelback.

I do this about every month or two, depending on the conditions.

I get very low wear and stretch using this method.

I use Shimano chains with SRAM powerlink.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I use the R & R lube exclusively. It just works so well for me in all conditions that I have never felt the need for any other lube since I started using it. My chain always looks shiney and clean.

I usually remove the chain from the bike, fit my second chain which I keep pre-lubed with the R & R, then wash the first chain in thinners to remove all traces of the old batch of lubricant.

I dry it off thoroughly, then dump the cleaned chain in the R & R, shake it around, remove it and wipe the excess off. It then goes into a sealable plastic bag which goes into my camelback.

I do this about every month or two, depending on the conditions.

I get very low wear and stretch using this method.

I use Shimano chains with SRAM powerlink.

R.

Rainman... just wondering, if you are riding it wet conditions, does this mean you only need to grease the chain once a month?? Is the Rock N Roll extreme that good? Or do you apply a little directly on to the chain each week/each ride etc and do the full degrease, relube thing monthly? I did the degrease, soak entire chain thing today and it has never looked so clean, thanks for that tip! And the cassette is clean and not gluggy with gunk.