Trying to find Flow

Is this project doable?

I work part time at the LBS and a customer came in with a special request. He wants to convert his dual suspension bike (some mid-range Giant) to a Shimano internal geared hub/shifting system.

I immediately saw mucho problems with chain growth from the suspension, so I added a chain guide to the mix. Anybody have comments on the correct one?

After talking this over with our mechanic, axle spacing also became a potential problem. The Nexus, according to the J&B catalog I was looking at, was 120. Most comparable hubs have wider spacing. Spacers? I asked our mechanic and he wasn't too enthusiastic about using spacers.

This project will be a pain if it's even possible, but this guy seems pretty committed to having the silence and simplicity of an internal hub drivetrain. An yes, we discussed Rohloff, but those are bucks. This guy seems like he'd be satisfied with 7-8 speeds.

So, I'm sure there are some folks here who have done this stuff (maybe?). Can anyone shed some light on the project from their experiences? Even if you haven't, got any bright ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    I work part time at the LBS and a customer came in with a special request. He wants to convert his dual suspension bike (some mid-range Giant) to a Shimano internal geared hub/shifting system.

I immediately saw mucho problems with chain growth from the suspension, so I added a chain guide to the mix. Anybody have comments on the correct one?

After talking this over with our mechanic, axle spacing also became a potential problem. The Nexus, according to the J&B catalog I was looking at, was 120. Most comparable hubs have wider spacing. Spacers? I asked our mechanic and he wasn't too enthusiastic about using spacers.

This project will be a pain if it's even possible, but this guy seems pretty committed to having the silence and simplicity of an internal hub drivetrain. An yes, we discussed Rohloff, but those are bucks. This guy seems like he'd be satisfied with 7-8 speeds.

So, I'm sure there are some folks here who have done this stuff (maybe?). Can anyone shed some light on the project from their experiences? Even if you haven't, got any bright ideas?
    WTF?

I wouldn't be too comfortable putting one of those on a FS MTB. I believe they were designed to be used ONLY on city cruiser style bikes. Any agressive pedalling and it wanting to automatically shift while you are climbing would most likely shred the internals quickly.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.