mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Problems With Truvativ Isoflow Crank

I just recently purchased a 2005 Gt avalanche 2.0, and when i ride it for only a short while hte left crank seems to loosen and the crank will fall completely off. The allen bolt that holds it on is completely uncovered i was wondering if there is suppose to be anything covering it like a cap of some sort. Any help of ideas would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There must be some kind of cap, but it does nothing, just keeps dust out. To tighten the bolt, you may need a good - that is, separate and long enough, not part of some multi-tool - Allen wrench(8 mm). To lengthen the arm, thus get more torque, you may use some ring wrench. Put the ring onto the Allen wrench, use the handle of ring wrench to add pressure. An adjustable wrench with hole in its handle would do as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks man ill give that a try i never tried using more torque on the bolt i wish it wasn't grease dependeant or whatever id loctite that thing, cause its annoying to have to end a ride early and one leg it down a mountain with crank in hand.

_I_
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is there enough clearance for a lock washer? (Hint, if there is).

On some motorcycle bolts, the solution is to drill a hole through the side of the bolt head (and a tiny hole in the crank on one side) so you can slip a piece of wire through once it's tightened to hold it in place.

Another less glamorous option is to take rough sandpaper and sand a rougher surface onto the seating face of the bolthead and/or crank mating surface.

I'd try a lock washer first if there's room for it (or take a file to one and make-it-fit).

All these ideas only apply if you had already tried getting as much torque on an allen wrench as possible to tighten, and it still won't stay in.