mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Problems with Time ATAC Pedals

I have been running ATACs for almost 10 years on all my and my wife's bikes (4 MTBs, 2 fat bikes and a road bike), and never really had a problem. I have the ATAC XS on my do everything MTB, and almost killed myself on Porcupine Rim as I jumped off a ledge and my left foot pulled out. So basically landed on my right leg and my junk. Definitely not a good feeling, but I am lucky as it could have been much worse.

These are the first ATACs that I have had that have the tension adjustment. These aren't that old, maybe a couple of years, but the tension adjustment only holds for a couple of pedal strokes until it is loose again. Nothing appears to be broken, it's just that the end of the spring doesn't stay on the cam like surface of the tension screw. Is there anything that I can do to fix this, or are these going to be retired to the fat bike (used for only snow riding or smooth dirt) where coming out of the pedal won't get me killed.

Any info would be appreciated, as I am actually thinking of going to the dark side (Shimano SPDs).

Thanks - BS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Curious, exactly what ATAC's' are you using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Carbon shell ATAC AS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My ATACS have 3 settings for tension if it is not staying in place I'd probably try moving it to each setting and seeing what happens.

If it doesn't work properly in any of the 3 then they might be kaput, I'm no expert but it seems like something that would be hard to repair.
    Those pedals have been bombproof for me over the years maybe its just a set that broke bad on you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm on my 3rd set. They've been great except one had a bearing come apart after only 100 miles. Time rebuilt at no cost but it took 4 weeks. Point is, they may help you with a rebuild. My rebuild has operated flawlessly for about 3,000 miles now.
    I just ordered the new ATAC XC carbon 8.
    It's hard to find reviews on the carbon 8 but It has the same basic adjustments with less weight.
    If your in the market check Amazon for the best deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When I turn my tension screws, I see it ramp up the tension on the main spring, but the problem is there is no retention on the tension screws. And as soon as I pedal hard or jump or pretty much any kind of movement between my pedal and shoe, the tension screw cam slips from the main spring, and my tension is back to almost nothing (able to be moved by my hand easily). I used to always have these on the lightest tension possible, as I felt that was what the earlier non-adjustable ATACs felt like.

I thought I remembered there being set positions with the tension screw where the tension screw was somewhat locked into position. Is that true, as all four of my screws have the problems described above. I assume these are toast, but not just wondering on what to get next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If this helps when I adjust to any of the three tension options it solidly 'clicks' into place. Sounds like yours is not really clicking into position and then slips back to no tensions or unwinds the tension.
    The lightest setting on mine doesn't require much twist to get out but you still have to twist like you mean it- sounds like yours is not working properly.

Bike Nashbar had ATACs on sale a while back if you have to get new ones.