mtbr member
    Dec 2006

problems with rear derailleur

i use the SRAM X-9 (w/ rapid fire 1:1 ratio shifters), i ride a 2005 trek liquid 65. when i shift into my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rear chain wheels my chain wants to jump up to the next wheel but never quite does it. i looked as this was happening and it appeared that the derailleur is partly on the next bigger chainwheel and on the gear i have it set to. i hear it trying to go....when i do shift down into my granny gear the chain does pop off and goes down between my biggest chainwheel and the spokes (gotta get off put it back on..yadda, yadda...also my shifter that controls this is a little bit loose, has a little bit of empty throw before the shifter and derailleur sync up and then begins to shift). this has made my climbs rather frustrating.

so that's my problem..how can i fix this so my chain does not pop off and try jumping gears on me ,and will stay to the gear i want/need? thanks.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by driftinhero
    i use the SRAM X-9 (w/ rapid fire 1:1 ratio shifters), i ride a 2005 trek liquid 65. when i shift into my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rear chain wheels my chain wants to jump up to the next wheel but never quite does it. i looked as this was happening and it appeared that the derailleur is partly on the next bigger chainwheel and on the gear i have it set to. i hear it trying to go....when i do shift down into my granny gear the chain does pop off and goes down between my biggest chainwheel and the spokes (gotta get off put it back on..yadda, yadda...also my shifter that controls this is a little bit loose, has a little bit of empty throw before the shifter and derailleur sync up and then begins to shift). this has made my climbs rather frustrating.

so that's my problem..how can i fix this so my chain does not pop off and try jumping gears on me ,and will stay to the gear i want/need? thanks.
    It sounds like you need the low limit adjusted & also need to adjust cable tension. Probably also need to adjust the high limit, & lube the cable & the derailleur pivots. If you don't know how to do these things yourself, take it to your LBS & they'll fix you right up.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)