mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Problems with my superfly 100. Advice needed. Thx

Hope this the correct area.

If you know the superfly you know about the 21mm torque bolt that holds the lower section of the rear triangle to the frame. Well, the rear triangle has some play in it because the 21mm bolt is loose. I cant tighten it because its spinning all the way through and the crank is blocking me on the right. I know that removing the crank will help but until I get it to the shop, my mind is wandering and I'm a bit worried. Is the crank side of this bolt bonded to the frame or is there a place on the crankside to attach a hex or wrench to he firm while I torque the non drive side 21mm? Any help is appreciated.
    P4:13

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Heath View Post
    Hope this the correct area.

If you know the superfly you know about the 21mm torque bolt that holds the lower section of the rear triangle to the frame. Well, the rear triangle has some play in it because the 21mm bolt is loose. I cant tighten it because its spinning all the way through and the crank is blocking me on the right. I know that removing the crank will help but until I get it to the shop, my mind is wandering and I'm a bit worried. Is the crank side of this bolt bonded to the frame or is there a place on the crankside to attach a hex or wrench to he firm while I torque the non drive side 21mm? Any help is appreciated.
    don't know the frame up close, but if I remember correctly the pivot is up above the crankset on the seat tube?

I believe you can just remove the outer ring (easy with 2 allen wrenches as it's a SRAM crankset? If Shimano you need a tool or a screw drive the get to the back of the ring bolt)

yes, there should be a matching bolt and nut on the other side of the pivot.

I wouldn't ride it (depending on how bad the play is) as it wobbling around will create an oblong wear in the bearing race and make it not run smooth in the future without replacing the bearings.
    Last edited by thomllama; 06-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks.Taking it in today.
    P4:13