mtbr member

problems installing new rear der.

Last week I broke a chain and didn't catch it before it caught the derailleur and bent it and the hanger. I bought a new XT derailleur, LX chain and a new hanger. I also replaced the cable, but not the housing. My shifters are LX shifter/brake combos and were working fine before the incident. Everything is nine speed.

Everything is put back together but I can't get it to shift through the entire gear range and I am out of ideas. Chain length is fine. Stops are be set correctly ( I can get it to shift all the way when I pull on the cable by hand). B-stop is not set yet (though the cog doesn't hit the top sprocket when forced to shift that low). I can get the highest 3 gears to shift ok, then it deteriorates and wont even make the last two sprockets.

I am very irritated. Ideas? Could it be something with the shifters?

Class Clown
    did you tighten the bolt that clamps the cable while in the correct gear? ie. smallest cog with the shifter in the correct position

mtbr member
    I was in the correct gear when I tightened the bolt. I even tried the reverse of what you normally do and shifted all the way up and held the derailleur in place while I tightened the bolt. When done that way, I cant make it all the way to the small cog when shifting.

mtbr member
    Almost embarrassed to admit it, but I figured out my problem. I bought a 10sp derailleur and I have a 9sp drivetrain. Anyone need a 10sp XT rear?