mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Problems with HT2 Crankset...

Hi all,

Replaced my Truvativ Husselfelt ISIS crankset with a Shimano Saint HT2 crankset (used, but in pretty good nick).
    Got the BB shell faced today.
    My frame (GT Ruckus) has a 73mm wide shell, so I needed no spacers on the non-drive side, and one on the drive-side.
    I run a DMR Chainreactor chain-device (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10800) which acts as the spacer, so none were needed.
    I am running a dualring/bash up front

Now, I have fitted it all properly, but the chainline is messed up. In the lowest gear (inner most front and back) the chain line moves away from the bike as it goes towards the front of the bike ie the front chainring it much further out than the inner-most rear cassette ring.

Another thing, the bottom section of chain (bottom of small chainring > jockeywheel) cant run in a straight line as the roller on the chain device pushes it outwards from the bike.

Now, Ive checked countless times the cranks are on properly/pushed on fully etc. Removing the roller doesnt really help, as the chain just rubs on the plate, and I cant remove the plate as I need it as a spacer.

I guess I could just run it as it is as I dont often use the lowest gear, but still, there must be something wrong? And its just going to speed up drive-train wear.

So, any ideas why the messed up chainline?

I may be able to pop to my LBS tomorrow, not sure if I have time, but any ideas first?

Ta, Duane

GT Ruckus

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No ones got any ideas...?

GT Ruckus

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The chain line will always move away from the bike as it moves from the largest rear to smallest front, its just a matter of how much it does this. I am not sure of the chain line dimension on your old crank, but Shimano moved their's out a couple of mm with HT2, so this probably part of your problem. You should remove the drive side spacer, it is there to allow for the e-type mech, which your guide is taking the place of, this should gain you a couple of mm. The chain line will probably still be a little further out than your previous set up, but it will be where Shimano designed it to be, and where thousands of other users chain runs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info.

Yeah I dont have any spacers at all, just the chaindevice plate acting as one.

So the HT2 cranksets push the rings outwards, even with the recessed crank arms?

It seems to be OK, except for the rubbing on the roller, may take it down to the LBS if I can be bothered...

Ta, Duane

GT Ruckus

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Looks like I mis-read your OP with regard to the spacers. Unfortunately there is not much else yo can do to get the chain line better.