mtbr member

Problem with Truvativ crankset!

I am converting my bike to a 1x9. The big ring was removed and the bash ring was installed with the crankset still on bike. I removed the non-drive side crank arm and attempted to pull the drive side out to remove the granny ring. But when I did this I was only able to move it about an inch before it stopped and wouldn't go any further.

I immediately thought that I was forgetting something or needed a special tool. I went to the Truvativ website and checking the manuals. All it describes is installing the crankset but even then there was no special tools or requirements.
    Push the crank shaft through the BB shells.
    Attach the non-drive side arm.

So what is the problem? How can I remove the crankset?

mtbr member
    Give it a couple of taps with a rubber hammer. It should slide straight through but could get stuck like it did with you.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Jon. Hit it with a chevy wrench.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    I tried using a 2x4 but where it stops is pretty solid. If I hit it any harder something is going to break, I just don't know what it would be.

No, that's not phonetic
    Shove it back in, lube what is showing, and then shove it back out (out the drive side). There is nothing holding it in there. It just passes through both bb cups from the drive side. It must be a tiny bit fat in the middle (or rusty) and getting hung up on the drive side cup. Whack it good.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer2
    Well I believe my LBS is correctly named "crack head". I had no trouble reaching someone at Sram concerning my crankset and typically my LBS should have had me a new one within three days. But in a week he had my new LX crankset installed and told me that "Sram wanted to send him a repaired bearing and crank assembly and that he thought that was crap". Obviously, he didn't even call them. I have insisted on a replacement (to offset the money I spent on the LX replacement) and he keeps stalling. The only good thing to evolve is my new Shimano LX crankset, I absolutely love it, much smoother and more solid feeling than the OE Truvativ. By the way, the Truvativ crankset should actually come out of the bike very easily, remove the left side crank, remove the chain, tap on the axle from left to right and it should come right out, with a guiding hand. The problem they have been having (twice on my crankset and confirmed by Scram tech) is the plastic sleeve between the bearings is coming apart and making shaft removal almost impossible without destroying the bottom bracket, they think they have the problem resolved now. I'll know if I ever get my replacement assembly from my LBS.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    Has anyone else had any issues with the new Stylo crankset? I'm referring specifically to the non drive side bearing assembly/crank axle interface, when I recently tried to remove the cranks a small shim that fits between the bearing and the axle stayed stuck to the axle. at the time I did not notice this because the cups were still installed in the frame and I just figured the cranks were being stubborn in their resistance to sliding out, so I gave them a good pull and heard a loud 'crack' noise as the drive side crank arm came free. So I removed the cups and found the plastic housing had indeed cracked and noticed the shim loose in the BB. I managed to re-assemble the cranks using the cups to press everything back together nice and slow, but it took alot of effort to make sure everything went smoothly.
    I'm a little concerned about the tolerances between the crank axle and this shim, as I don't see how this won't happen again - the crank is on a Blur LT so I need to access the pivots so this crank needs to be removed fairly regularly. I also run Shimano Saints and Raceface Evolve XCs with similiar BB assemblies and have never encountered any problems like this.
    This crank was assembled according to spec, and the frame was faced.
    Anyone else have similiar problems or have a suggestion?
    This might be the problem. BTW, if it was just a tiny bit fat, why would it have such a defined stopping point when trying to remove the crank. Whatever is stopping it is very solid.

mtbr member
    UPDATE:

I took the bike to the LBS. If someone was going to hit the crank shaft hard, I was going to let them do it instead so the blame for damage won't be on me. After some really hard pounding, the mech was able to remove the drive side crank. The bearing race for the BB cup on the non-drive side was seized to the crank shaft. When attempting to remove the drive side cranks, the bearing race was stopping at the internal plastic collar. Even then, both BB cups had to be removed to remove the crankset. The drive side BB cup cannot be taken off the crank shaft without removing the seized bearing race. The internal plastic collar got broken up from pounding on the crank shaft. LBS is going to contact Truvativ on how to handle this.

Pictures coming soon.